Publishers Clearing House Founding Makes Top Ten List
It’s already started: the year-end top ten lists of the most significant happenings or influential people or popular movies.
We writers of the PCH Blog look back with some pride at the year 1953 when the top ten list of historic events (not in order of importance) included:
1. Cinemascope is introduced to draw viewers of TV back to movie theaters.
2. Josef Stalin dies, setting off leadership turmoil in the Kremlin.
3. Oscar ceremonies are telecast for the first time.
4. Salk polio vaccine is approved.
5. Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II is crowned.
6. Elvis Presley graduates from high school.
7. GM’s Chevrolet division introduces the Corvette.
8. Swansons introduces TV Dinners.
9. John F. Kennedy marries Jacqueline Bouvier.
10. Publishers Clearing House is founded in Port Washington, NY.
Yes, 1953 was a big year. Indeed, you wouldn’t be reading this blog or eligible to win a $10 Million InstaPrize from the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes if enterprising Harold and LuEsther Mertz had not had the bright idea of selling “unbeatable” magazine subscription deals via direct mail back then.
Fifty-seven years later, we sell a lot more than magazines: hard-to-find merchandise and household items, books, videos, collectibles and more – all at great prices. And we don’t rely exclusively on the mail: we have a growing network of pchonline properties that offer cash prizes, free free online games, contests and sweepstakes, Search & Win opportunities, ways to shop for discount merchandise and ways to view some of our best winning moments at PCHTV.com.
A click here will take you to pch.com where you can easily enter the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes online and go for the $10 Million InstaPrize that could get 2010 off to a fabulous start for you and yours.
Should you be that lucky winner, I would be delighted as head of the PCH Prize Patrol to knock on your door and announce, “Congratulations! You’ve just won $10 Million in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes!” I’ll bet that would put me on your personal top ten list!
We wish you a happy new year and the best of luck!
PCH PRIZE PATROL