Will You Make PCH “Halloween History?”

There’s an extra special feeling going around the Publishers Clearing House headquarters here in Port Washington, NY these days. There’s a fresh crispness in the air. The leaves are changing to their beautiful fall hues. And, best of all, Halloween is almost here! Many of us are looking forward to all the fun we’ll be having with our kids and grandkids. But more than that–we’re so excited that $1 Million could be awarded this Halloween in our October 31st Special Early Look SuperPrize Event!

No tricks here! You could be “treated” to a visit by Danielle Lam, Todd Sloane, and Dave Sayer, standing at your front door with flowers, champagne and the “Big Check!” Halloween season is the perfect time of year to receive a PCH “treat!”

I have always loved Halloween because “dressing up” is one of my favorite things to do. I don’t miss a chance to wear a costume if I can. I’ve also always been curious about the history of Halloween–why do we celebrate it, and where do all those zany traditions come from? Here are a few quick facts I found:

• Halloween originated from the Celtic festival of Samhain, a celebration of the harvest.
  • The ancient Gaels believed the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped on October 31st, and so they wore costumes and masks to thwart evil spirits.
  • The “trick-or-treat” part actually goes back to the Middle Ages, when peasants would go door to door and collect food for themselves, in exchange for prayers they would say for the dead.

Funny that the Prize Patrol will be “patrolling” like those peasants of long ago on Halloween–except their aim is to GIVE! GIVE! GIVE! The Big Prize Winner will make a little PCH Halloween History of his or her own!

Francine L.

PCH Creative

P.S. On her Fan page, Danielle Lam has proposed searching out the winner in costume that day. What do you think she should dress up as? She’s suggested wearing a tiara or even a cute set of cat ears. Do you have a better idea for Danielle–and also her Prize Patrol cohorts? Leave your suggestions here!

30 thoughts on “Will You Make PCH “Halloween History?””

1. randy viola says:

I liked danielle as a jeni.

2. Gwendolyn Pryor Cook says:

Dave as a lion since hes king and has a new heart. Danielle the good witch because she helps put the blessings together and Todd the wizzard because he helps make it happen for me to be 7000 a week for life a new home and my two sons for their future too. Happy Halloween Guys!

3. jeremy laird says:

I thank she should be a angel

4. Shadae Miranda says:

Do potential winners get a short list through the mail for the 2012 oct 31st early bird look?

5. danielle should like catwoman an dave like batman an todd like robin this halloween. an spoke me with that big check.

6. Jeanette Lane says:

I KNOW I HAVE ENTERED > NOW YOU KNOW THAT I WORK OVERTIME TO GET IT RTGHT> THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES! u EVEN HAD TO DO THE COMMENTSS OVER SO I COULD BE SURE YOU GOT IT. IT IS DIFFICULT TOO SINCE I HAVE A COUPLE OF EMAIL ADDRESSES AND PASSWORDS. HOPE THIS GOES THRU.

7. Jeanette Lane says:

I don’t kanow if I will make history Oct.31 but to the best of my knowledge that I have entered every one since the first mailing !Am almost certain that I ordered often at my office. Bet I orded before that,too Like Even to the point of correcting the errors and alway’s tried to get them right This internet has been a challange as much as entering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ANNAH WILLIE says:

pch will i be a trick or a treat?treat i will win trick i will be the but of a bad joke ha ha that wont be funny.

9. i have my story for my experience that happened today i know is not halloween yet .my brother and his son is come to the house of my sister and ill be there.the is 7 pm today they go t6o the back house and my nephew is standing in the front door then he is wearing mask skeleton and clothes skeleton i look in the door then i shout oh my god oh my god who is that then suddenlly im sweating and im shaking for scared.i told to my cousin aND MY SISTER TOO.THEY ARE SHOUTNG TOO OH MY GOD WHO IS THAT MY SISTER IS SITTING DOWN THEN SHE STAND AND SHOUTING TOO SHE SAID WHO IS THAT.THEN SUDDENLY ITS ONLY MY NEPHEW.THATS MY STORY HAPPENED ONLY TODAY