PCH Prize Patrol versus Santa Claus: A Debate

The PCH Prize Patrol or Santa Claus – who has a better job?  A debate between the PCH Prize Patrol and Santa would compare responsibilities and satisfaction for both jobs.

As Christmas approaches I always remember the idea that some advertising colleagues thought would make a neat long-form commercial for Publishers Clearing House.  It would parody the debates seen on “crossfire” talk shows and even the current spate of presidential candidate forums.  It would feature me – as head of the Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol arguing with Santa Claus as to who has the better job.  The debate would go something like this:

Interviewer:  In this chair we have Dave Sayer of the PCH Prize Patrol.  And in the other chair we have someone who needs absolutely no introduction:  Santa Claus himself.  Hello to both of you and welcome to this special holiday edition of “Bloggers Want to Know.”   Obviously, you both make the homes you visit happier places.  But are there “downsides” to the job?  Let me start with you, Santa.

Santa:  Well, yes, there are months of hard work in advance of Christmas Eve – in the frigid North Pole!  I have to read millions of pieces of mail with long lists of goodies that people want.

Dave:  Actually Santa, we have something in common there.  Millions of people want to win our sweepstakes, and the processing of all the entries is a big job – but worth it considering the joy that is evident in the winning moments you see on TV.   Just imagine winning $10 Million!

Santa:  Yes, I’ve seen those winner reactions on TV.  Alas, I’m gone by Christmas morning when the gifts are opened, so I don’t see the reactions in person.  Darn it!  In some ways I’d rather have your job, Dave.  You get to ride in a temperature-controlled Prize Patrol van rather than in an airborne, winter-chilled, open sleigh.  And you make your entrance through a welcoming front door rather than through a cold, sooty chimney.  Let’s face it: a chimney just doesn’t work for roses, balloons and a Big Check!

Dave:  You’re right, Santa.  And, we both have to carry BIG things for our jobs — a BIG CHECK for me and a BIG SACK for  you!  But it’s rare that our winner is a child squealing with delight.  Sometimes I’d prefer that to a housewife in curlers who blubbers and collapses into my arms, even though that might make an entertaining winning moment on TV.

Santa:  But Dave, you get to share Prize Patrol champagne with the lucky sweepstakes winners.  More often I get cookies and cocoa that’s been cooling for hours – not that there’s anything wrong with that.  And you don’t have to get all your deliveries done in one night!

Dave:  True, Santa.  PCH delivers prizes daily through our websites including Search & Win.  Plus we give away lots of big cash prizes in person throughout the year.

Interviewer:  We’ve got to wrap it up now, gentlemen.  Do you have a closing comment, Dave?

Dave:  Just this:  Take it from the PCH Prize PatrolENTER the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes at once!  Just click here!

Interviewer:  Good advice Dave. And, Santa, I’ll let you have the last word.

Santa:  All things considered, I’ll keep my job.  Ho, ho, ho!  I just want to wish everyone out there a blessed holiday season and a very Happy New Year!

Happy holidays from all of us at Publishers Clearing House, too!

Dave Sayer

PCH Prize Patrol Ambassador

21 thoughts on “PCH Prize Patrol versus Santa Claus: A Debate”

1. Audrey Hertel says:

Hello Dave and Santa. Please visit us in 2014. You are equally welcome here. Just know we hop you have a very wonderful holiday season and Merry Christmas to you.

2. Corey Miner says:

Well what I think u both have in common is you both hand out great prizes or presents you never know if you’ll be bringing a big present or a small. But no matter what if your good you’ll get a chance to win. And you’ll never see santa or you unless u make the effort to try. But the deferent’s between u and him he has flying rain deere and uses the chimney to bring u a wonderful Christmas. U come politely with a gift to your front door with your crew and in your vehicles . But at the same time you both are full of joy and u both give and never receive but the wonderful stories and gifts u both bring to us all. Happy holidays every body good luck.

3. Maureen Skelly says:

This was a cute blog. You both have vailed points from each side of the table. I hope the PCH people have a safe and Happy Holiday. :)

4. Happy Holiday’s.
    lOVED THE SANTA, DAVE BLOG,
    MY QUESTION WHO AND WHY HASN’T SANTA Heard OR GRANTED MY WISH SINCE 2008 ON LINE TO WIN THE BIG CHECK OR TWENTY FOUR ALMOST TWENTY FIVE YRS NOW TO WIN THE BIG CHECK with mail entry,s? I GROW WEARY WITH THE PART TIME JOB STATUS with the neg results ,HOW MANY FLOORS,TOILETS AND SINKS DO YOU SCRUB? HOW MANY JOB APPLICATIONS DO YOU FILL OUT BEFORE YOU ARE GIVEN A CHANCE? HOW MANY TIMES DO you GET FAKE E-MAILS STATING YOU WON ONLY TO FIND OUT IT’S ALL FAKE? AS YOU TRY NOT TO CRY./MY WISH TO WIN NEVER COMES TRUE AND I HAVE ENTERED MANY A CONTEST BESIDES THIS ONE shopping malls , mopeds,. FORGIVE ME FOR BEING ALITTLE DOWN ON THE SUBJECT BUT AGAIN ANOTHER birthday XMAS AND NOTHING .oh not to mention the restated jobs that any one had before?naw just fake contest,that real people like us can wish upon. thanks for that any way.
    EILLTHERBANGORMAINE04401

5. Elvin Morgan says:

Merry Christmas to one and all. I hope and pray that God will shower His love and blessings down on you and your loved ones through out this coming New Year.

6. Guled Hagar says:

happy holiday to all the pch from my family…what you are doing is very amazing.. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

7. Lauralee Hensley says:

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year’s to all that celebrate them.

8. Mrs. A.T. says:

Dave, Thank you for this blog. You and Santa both have the twinkle in your eyes. It must come with giving. Merry Christmas to everyone at PCH. Yes I did my entrees, whenever it’s in my power I do. Hope to meet you in person one day, no offense but with my name on a check too.

9. Chiminy, front door, toys and goodie bag, big Checks Surprizing balloons and flowers, Snow Sled with ready to Go dancer, prancer, rudorf the Red nose reindeer. 2011 Crysler prizePatrol Van V8 horsepowered 4wd for Any Weather forecast day’s wish lists Happy Holidays Dreams Do Come true.