PCH Helps The Fight Against Publishers Clearing House Scams!

Dear Friends,

Here at this blog we often remind friends like you to beware of scammers who illegally use the Publishers Clearing House name to take advantage of innocent people. But did you know that Publishers Clearing House is on the front lines in the fight against Publishers Clearing House scams?

That’s right, Publishers Clearing House regularly provides law enforcement with important information that helps them catch fraudsters and stop PCH scams!

In fact, just a few weeks ago, four Canadian men were arrested and charged by Canadian law enforcement for tricking unsuspecting consumers in the U.S. into wiring them money.  In one of the scams, a 76-year-old man from Pennsylvania was duped into wiring $10,000 to an address in Canada after getting a telephone call from someone who pretended to be from Publishers Clearing House. Click here for the news story.

According to Chris Irving, Assistant Vice President, Consumer & Legal Affairs, “You can be sure that Publishers Clearing House will provide the necessary support to the authorities to ensure that the bad guys in this case or in any other case where our name is illegally used will be brought to full justice.”

We at PCH want the fraudsters out there to be warned  ― Publishers Clearing House is always on the lookout for PCH scams! And did you know that readers of this blog can help us in the fight against fraud? If you ever receive a suspicious letter, email or telephone call where someone is fraudulently claiming to be from PCH, we invite you to contact us.  The valuable information we receive from consumers about Publishers Clearing House scams is entered into our internal anti-scam database that is regularly shared with law enforcement both here in the US and around the globe to support their investigations.

While we’re thrilled with these recent arrests, we’d like to take the opportunity to share some important reminders about how you can stay safe and protect yourself against fraud from any other scammer who might try to illegally use our name:

1. Publishers Clearing House will NEVER ask you to pay to enter or collect a prize award.

2. PCH and our famous Prize Patrol will never call our winners ahead to time to let them know they have won.

3. If you are ever contacted by mail, phone or email by someone claiming to be with PCH ― and are asked to send or wire money to claim a prize ― you have NOT heard from us at Publishers Clearing House.

We’ll share more updates on our efforts to work with law enforcement and stop the Publishers Clearing House scams.  Until then, stay alert, educated and always aware that at PCH you never have to send any money or pay any fee or tax to enter, win or collect a PCH prize! If it is not free, it is not a legitimate sweepstakes offer —and it’s certainly not from Publishers Clearing House!

Elaina R.
PCH Creative

113 thoughts on “PCH Helps The Fight Against Publishers Clearing House Scams!”

1. Patty says:

I just got an email from a John Ervin asking for personal information stating I won there Lucky Star prize today. SCAMMERS!!!!

1. Nikki says:

I just got an email too reading:

Email Ref#: 112456757690
      PCH Email Sweepstakes Dated 21st of November 2015

We the Publishers Clearing House are using this medium to inform you that you have emerge our lucky star prize winner Dated 21st of November 2015.
      For claims verification contact our agent on this specified email address (pch-inquirydesk15@hotmail.com) providing your name, address, email id and phone number.

Publishers Clearing House (PCH)

Address is John Ervin

1. Nikki says:

Also found this information on reverse lookup

ISACS :: Conferences and Workshops
        Latest activities of @jervin at 2014-02-04 was found on the domain: @www.isacs.org
        please contact Diane Hill at 314.516.8034 For AV and Internet, please contact John Ervin with PSAV, the Millennium s onsite AV Company. John s email is jervin@psav.com and his office phone 314.516.8138. *You are responsible for ordering and paying for electrical, Internet and AV for your tabletop. Please

2. Margaret says:

Me too!!!

2. Sarah says:

I also just received an email from John Ervin. I’m
    Guessing by all the others who receives the same email, that it’s a scam.

3. Rob F. says:

At 3:38pm est I received an email from John Ervin asking for the following information My name, address email ID# and phone number. It claims I am the winner of the lucky star prize. It also has a email ref # to go with it. The email to me to contact there agent at this specified email address pch-inquirydesk15@hotmail.com. Is this real or a scam? I was so excited i actually sent the information.

4. Shelley mcphee says:

I just received an email from a John Irving. Does Publishers Clearing House want the email forwarded?

5. Denise Hawkins says:

I received a email today also from John Irving!!…

1. Ashley says:

Hi Dennis. I received the exact same thing.. Did you reply at all? The email asked for my name, address and phone number. Hmm, very peculiar.

6. Arlene Baker says:

John Ervin left a email about PCH winnings…..

7. Debi says:

rec’d a call said I won $175,000 – I told him I am at work right now – not able to talk he immediately hung up – that right there says its a scam. who has time for this kind of stuff really? hopefully they don’t get to one our innocent elderly. watch out for your elders everyone.

8. Heather keels says:

Got called by a guy that said he was Dave this morning had me all worked up on being the next big winner crying, emotional, thinking all my problems were solved and how many people I could help. He said they were on there way be here in 30mins. Hr later he said I have to pay $250 for the 1% on taxes for the government he said pch only takes care of 90%. I was like I thought pch didn’t ask for $ he said they aren’t its the government. My husband came in the door and said it was a scam. +1 (321) 593-4238 this is the number beware of this scammer

9. David M. at mathwood says:

I live in the SF Bay Area. I received a call today from an (876) area code directing me to contact a (209) number and to contact Andrew Goldberg for my prize. The 209 number was answered by Mark who first claimed to be an associate of AG. Then he says he is Mark Goldberg. After some minutes to build up my expectations, he tells me to go to WalMart, Piggly Wigly or BofA to obtain a Validation receipt. Slid by me the first time then he says I need to pay 1% of my $950 prize to obtain the validation.
    Well, thanks to your blog I stopped there!