How To Spot Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scams!

Hi blog readers! Have you ever received a message from someone who claims to work for PCH? Maybe the message notified you that you won a big prize. Maybe it told you that you needed to pay money to claim that prize. Unfortunately, these messages are Publishers Clearing House scams! They are not from the real Publishers Clearing House. We’ve done a lot here on the blog to try to alert you to these PCH scams, but we thought it might be helpful to provide you with some excerpts from actual scams that were sent by fraudsters illegally using the PCH name, in order to dupe you.

Before we get started, here are few important things to remember: You NEVER have to pay to claim a PCH prize. Winners of our larger prize award amounts are surprised in person by the Prize Patrol, NOT sent messages on Facebook or emails like this. Publishers Clearing House scams often have MANY spelling and grammatical errors. Try to read them out loud … you’ll see how nonsensical they sound. An official PCH message would not be written like that!

Let’s get started!

This message is not from PCH, it is a PCH SCAM! How can you tell?

For starters, none of the above or these contest details are legitimate. If you were to ask a PCH employee about a “Super Bucks Giveaway,” we would be quick to tell you it does not exist. Also, we are in no way associated with the U.S. Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission. AND if you were to use PCHSearch&Win to research that supposed government authority, you would find that it does not even exist in the U.S.

This message is not from PCH, it is a PCH SCAM! How can you tell?

Again, the grammar is off in many places. Just a few examples: “you are been advised,” and “your fund remitted to your account”. Plus, take a look at how the prize amount is written: “$1.200,000.00”. There’s a decimal instead of a comma after the “1”.

This message is not from PCH, it is a PCH SCAM! How can you tell?

They repeated the “this is part of our security protocol” sentence TWICE within the same paragraph! Also, PCH never asks you to keep quiet about your winnings. Quite the opposite! We’re always proudly posting pictures and videos of our winners! But the scammers want you to stay quiet so they can get your money without the authorities finding out.

This message is not from PCH, it is a PCH SCAM! How can you tell?

It’s easy! This message contains the BIGGEST red flag — it asks you to pay money to claim your prize. Remember: you NEVER have to pay or make any purchase to claim a prize from Publishers Clearing House. Also, if you ever hear/see the words “GREEN DOT MONEY PAK CARD” in a message from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House, head for the hills! The scammers will take the account numbers from this card, cash the money you spent on it, and never award you the prize, because there never was a real prize — they are scammers.

There you have it folks. These are just a few ways you can spot PCH scams! As always, you should always verify the information in any winner notification you may receive before making any risky moves. And if you ever have any questions, let us know!

Stay safe everyone!

Laura Wolfe @ PCH

296 thoughts on “How To Spot Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scams!”

1. Is the PCHLotto Real? I’ve been doing this for a while now and I put my own numbers in and not paying the 14.99 a month for them to put my numbers in everyday. I don’t see why someone would pay to put their numbers in when it only takes a couple of minutes to do. Please let me know if I’m wasting my time with this, because I could be doing something else in those few minutes of the day.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Michell,e you never have to pay anything to play PCHlotto. To see some of our winners, please go here: http://lotto.pch.com/lotto-winners

2. Jussie At PCH Jussie At PCH says:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It sounds like you have been the victim of a scam. The offer you’re describing did not come from Publishers Clearing House. Also, there is never a catch with entering or winning any PCH Sweepstakes. PCH, like any legitimate Sweepstakes, will never ask you to pay any fee or make a purchase to claim a prize. You may forward the suspicious email to us at abuse@pch.com or report this occurrence to us using our toll-free number 1-800-392-4190. We also recommend that you report this incident to the National Fraud Center at http://www.fraud.org.

1. Scott says:

I just got scammed buy somebody clamming to be pch saying I had won big but on the way to deliver it they got pull over by the state troopers and won’t let them come into my state till they fill out a form that cost 10,000 he would pay half if I paid the other then have me repay him the other 5,000 in person once he drops off the prize

3. claudia Harris says:

Have “Warning Urgent Notice” post cards been sent out recently? Legit?

4. Austen Drenkow says:

I am from a small town of 136 people and I am probably the most in debt with over a hundred thousand dollars in hospital bills and a little under fifty thousand in credit debt. I would thank God if I won but if I dont thats fine too because we cannot bank on chances and hopes, all i do is pray that one day i will be able to win a lottery such as this to support my mom who is a breast cancer survivor and put her up in a nice home in the black hills.

Sincerely,
    Austen Drenkow, Melvin, IA

5. I received a phone call telling me thatI had won the one million dollar Publishers Clearing House context. A lady named Elizabeth would be coming to my home in a few hours to deliver the check. I should drive to my bank and she would follow me so that I could deposit it in my account. I called the police and they called the number Michael Moyers had given me. That’s when it was determined this was fraud.

1. Jussie At PCH Jussie At PCH says:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is definitely a scam. The offer you’re describing did not come from Publishers Clearing House. PCH, like any legitimate Sweepstakes, will never ask you to pay any fee or make a purchase to claim a prize. You may report this occurrence to us using our toll-free number 1-800-392-4190. We also recommend that you report this incident to the National Fraud Center at http://www.fraud.org.

6. Rachael Smith says:

So my brother has been getting calls claiming to be publishers clearinghouse. They wanted him to pay a $300 processing fee. I told him to hang up. They kepted calling back. I answered I was not nice I told them where to go and how to get there. I would call the authorities if they kept calling.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

7. Judy Heria says:

Hi!i’m Judy I was notified by the agent James foster that iwon a mega million and the manager micheal Thomas told me today the amount worth $699 for the delivery stamp because of the mega million I’m gonna receive.and Peter maxwell the Canada revenue agent representative advice them that they are not allowed to deliver cash to the winner here in Canada so I need to pay the $2500 for the depository receipt which I’m gonna send to them through western union in order to receive my prize.is that true?this is not a scam?these people keep calling me 100x.they insist to deliver my prize and it bother me a lot.pls response me in my email as soon as possible.i need your advice.i don’t want to be the victims of scam again.thanks!

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

8. Shawn Morgan says:

What is Premium Offer Acquisition Fee?? Received mail today to fill out, there is a box in light purple on the Judging Sheet that asks for $11.89 for the above and wants it either in cash or check or money order!!!

1. Jussie At PCH Jussie At PCH says:

That is definitely a scam, Shawn! Please report it to us at abuse@pch.com – thanks!

9. Martha Stanley says:

I got one of those letters including the sizeable check in it with more promised and as much as I would have been thrilled just to have the amount of the check enclosed, I smelled scam right away. The stationery, the wording, the “keep it quiet” admonition, the mention of fees and taxes and certainly the lack of van, personnel, cameras and general hoopla. Checked your blog for confirmation. Thanks!

10. catalina vargas says: