PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!

Can you spot a Publishers Clearing House phone scam? Take this “quick quiz” and find out.

Imagine you’re at home and you get a call from someone who tells you he is from Publishers Clearing House. He says you have won $500,000.00, but in order to claim your prize, you first need to wire him a $300.00 delivery fee. What do you do?

A. Hang up!
B. Report this person to the authorities.
C. Wire him the money. After all, $500,000.00 is at stake!

I’m hoping that all of our PCH friends know that the correct answers are A and B ― NEVER C! And if you didn’t get the answer correct, then keep reading because this is very important.

PCH does not call our winners in advance. In fact, if you’re named a BIG PCH winner, you’ll find out when you open your door and see the Prize Patrol standing there holding a “Big Check” with YOUR NAME on it!

More importantly, PCH NEVER asks our winners for any money in order to claim a prize. It’s because the Publishers Clearing House name is so well known and trusted, that fraudsters use it to attempt to scam unsuspecting people out of money.

Just recently, an Arkansas woman received a call from a man claiming he was with Publishers Clearing House. He told her that she had won $1.5 million and a brand new car, but first she would have to pay a fee of $500.00 before she could receive the money and the car. Fortunately, this smart lady knew to call the police and not give the fraudster one cent!

Unfortunately, some seniors are not as lucky ― or as well informed.  Earlier this year an 80-year-old Chicago grandfather was conned out of several thousands of dollars by fraudulent criminals who claimed he had won $5 Million from Publishers Clearing House. The scammer repeatedly kept asking him to wire money for “shipping and handling and safe delivery.”

Don’t risk letting this happen to you. Remember these important A, B, C’s.

A. PCH awards are Absolutely free! Publishers Clearing House will NEVER ask you to pay to enter or collect a prize award.

B. PCH and our Prize Patrol will not Buzz you on the phone if you’ve won a SuperPrize!

C. Fraudsters may Claim to be with Publishers Clearing House ― but Call the authorities if you suspect any wrongdoing.

You can also fill out a Scam Incident Report if you think someone is trying to scam you using the PCH name.

Protect yourself and stay safe!

Elaina R.
PCH Online Creative

198 thoughts on “PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!”

1. Linda Jarrell says:

Pch zi need help this is Linda. GEEK WENT OFF THE DEEP END HE.IS STEALING ALL I get some report this please to Tom or ms Holiday I really heed help thief in the house.p

2. Jennifer says:

I got a call from 876-268-8273, David Peterson, claiming I won $2.5 million and a Mercedes. He gave me names of Mrs. Mary Ann Schmidt (Senior Lawyer), Mr. Donald Wagner (Federal Government Department(, and Mr. James Roberts (State Union Board). Wanted me to go to Wal-Mart with $299.I kept questioning him as a scam. He transferred me to his General Managwr, Mr. Bill Heskey, but finally got him to hang up, saying I didn’t have the money, and he told me to call him back. I’m waiting for my local law enforcement to call me back. I made the mistake of giving him my first and last name, but that’s the only info I gave them. Nothing further.

3. Ed Botting says:

876-439-7206 is a Jamaica phone number that claims to be Publishers Clearing House, in order to get paid part of the international calling rates, when people call them back.

4. dan h says:

There was no mention of money, but the caller wanted me to drive to Walmart with two forms of ID and get a ticket.

5. Lea says:

My father in law just received a phone call today telling him he won $1.5 million dollars and a new car, but he needs to have $500 in cash in order for them to UPS him his check and car. And they said they are coming to his house to collect. I live 2 hours away and cant get to him. I called the Sheriff station to let them know. I hope these criminals are caught!

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Lea, We’re so glad you knew it was not the real PCH. With our sweepstakes, you never have to pay to claim a prize. PCH does not contact winners of a major prize via phone, text, email, mail, or on Social Media. You can report these scammers to us by completing a scam incident report. Click this link to find out how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. Feel free to check out our Fraud Prevention page for tips to recognize these scammers by clicking here: http://bit.ly/PCHFraudPrevention. Stay safe!

6. Robbie Barbour says:

phone number 1-876-425-1665 just called me in New Bern NC to tell me I won 2.5 million dollars but needed me to seed them 199.85 from a food lion western union or a Walmart western union. He gave me the name Michael Anderson badge number 9336897US. Plus a list of other numbers for bar codes and such. I immediately googled this scam and sure enough here we are. he even gave the so called lawyer name of Charlotte Baker to meet me at my home. I then started reading him the scam comments I was seeing on my screen and he immediately hung up on me. This idiot had some type of rap music going in the background and sound like he was driving on the road. He could barely speak English at all.
    PCH does not ask for money nor will they tell you they are coming to your home.

7. PAMELA L WILSON says:

Robert Taylor just called me and I let him go through his crap and then when I told him I am not giving him any money (I work in the legal field). He went ballistic and started being very crude. Needless to say, he wasn’t pulling anything with me.

8. Amanda Davis says:

I have a woman claiming to be Danielle Lam she contacted me on Twitter. My cell phone number and is now texting me telling me I need to send $1,000 and get a receipt before y’all come to my door.