PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!

Can you spot a Publishers Clearing House phone scam? Take this “quick quiz” and find out.

Imagine you’re at home and you get a call from someone who tells you he is from Publishers Clearing House. He says you have won $500,000.00, but in order to claim your prize, you first need to wire him a $300.00 delivery fee. What do you do?

A. Hang up!
B. Report this person to the authorities.
C. Wire him the money. After all, $500,000.00 is at stake!

I’m hoping that all of our PCH friends know that the correct answers are A and B ― NEVER C! And if you didn’t get the answer correct, then keep reading because this is very important.

PCH does not call our winners in advance. In fact, if you’re named a BIG PCH winner, you’ll find out when you open your door and see the Prize Patrol standing there holding a “Big Check” with YOUR NAME on it!

More importantly, PCH NEVER asks our winners for any money in order to claim a prize. It’s because the Publishers Clearing House name is so well known and trusted, that fraudsters use it to attempt to scam unsuspecting people out of money.

Just recently, an Arkansas woman received a call from a man claiming he was with Publishers Clearing House. He told her that she had won $1.5 million and a brand new car, but first she would have to pay a fee of $500.00 before she could receive the money and the car. Fortunately, this smart lady knew to call the police and not give the fraudster one cent!

Unfortunately, some seniors are not as lucky ― or as well informed.  Earlier this year an 80-year-old Chicago grandfather was conned out of several thousands of dollars by fraudulent criminals who claimed he had won $5 Million from Publishers Clearing House. The scammer repeatedly kept asking him to wire money for “shipping and handling and safe delivery.”

Don’t risk letting this happen to you. Remember these important A, B, C’s.

A. PCH awards are Absolutely free! Publishers Clearing House will NEVER ask you to pay to enter or collect a prize award.

B. PCH and our Prize Patrol will not Buzz you on the phone if you’ve won a SuperPrize!

C. Fraudsters may Claim to be with Publishers Clearing House ― but Call the authorities if you suspect any wrongdoing.

You can also call our Customer Service hotline at 1-800-476-4724 if you think someone is trying to scam you using the PCH name.

Protect yourself and stay safe!

Elaina R.
PCH Online Creative

50 thoughts on “PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!”

1. Karen says:

Haha my husband got a call too,saying he had won $750,000 or a new car. He told them he wasn’t interested in money or a car. Lol they haven’t called back

2. Fred Jonas says:

I just received a call from a David Peterson , same scam so I played him about an hour having him call me back several times because my cell phone was bad (haha) tried to hook him in with PCH scam line thought it would be funny having him talk directly with them . But the number was an 867 satalite phone and woul;d not connect

3. Melanie says:

I just got a call too! It was an unlisted “unknown” number. They’ve been calling me all morning. He said the delivery truck was just down the road (though in fact it was in a totally different city) and they need my info to bring the check and my new car to my house. They said I won $750,000. They asked me where I was and I refused to tell them. They asked for a meeting spot in public and I was messing with them and gave them a bank (not my personal one) in my city. Then the pitch….you know you have to pay taxes and fees to transfer the title to your name on the car. The cost is just $495 so if I could just put all the info he gave me and a check or cash for the $495 into an envelope and be ready to hand it off…I’ll be getting my new car soon! He told me not to call anyone else or put them on hold or all bets are off. He also said that my number had been selected from a bunch of numbers in California (my number is unlisted so ???????). I hung up on him. :)

4. jillian says:

I just got a call also from an 876 number. When he realized I was messing with him he hung up.

5. Christine says:

got call from 876-839-8050 giving me a code and asking me to call 315-755-5292 – that was a few hours ago, he just called back wanting to know why I didn’t call.

6. jaylm09 says:

I received a call 2 days ago. It was a Utah number 8019640615 I don’t answer numbers that I don’t recognize they left a message saying “Well I finish inputting the data into the system. I do wanna ask you what would be the top three things that you do utilize the money for. If you could(?) win the sweepstakes and I’m usually getting it through immediately. Let me try one more department that can handle the call and check. Bye.”

7. jaylm09 says:

I got a call 2 days ago. It was a Utah number, 8019640615. I didn’t answer but they left a message saying “Well I finish inputting the data into the system. I do wanna ask you what would be the top three things that you do utilize the money for. If you could(?) win the sweepstakes and I’m usually getting it through immediately. Let me try one more department that can handle the call and check. Bye.” it was really confusing but I didn’t call back.

8. Joe says:

Today got a call from 217 921 7625 [ Paris, IL. that I won a big sum of money. Delivery will be done as soon as final steps completed.

9. Chris Conway says:

323-696-6654. That’s the number left on my voicemail claiming to be a representative of PCH and that I had won second place prize worth 2.5 million. Asked me to call back.

10. pamela says:

Hello my name is Pam I just received 4 calls from California phone number claiming to be Publishers Clearing house the number was (310) 547-9129. The woman sounded really nice but I know this is how they trick you and get you to trust them. This woman claims that my name was pulled in a drawing for $20,000 grand. She also stated that I won a golden watch, and all I had to do was pay $3.99 for a magazine, and receive the remaining magazines free of charge. She informed me that after she get off the phone with me that her supervisor would contact me with a tracking number and further details.