PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!

Can you spot a Publishers Clearing House phone scam? Take this “quick quiz” and find out.

Imagine you’re at home and you get a call from someone who tells you he is from Publishers Clearing House. He says you have won $500,000.00, but in order to claim your prize, you first need to wire him a $300.00 delivery fee. What do you do?

A. Hang up!
B. Report this person to the authorities.
C. Wire him the money. After all, $500,000.00 is at stake!

I’m hoping that all of our PCH friends know that the correct answers are A and B ― NEVER C! And if you didn’t get the answer correct, then keep reading because this is very important.

PCH does not call our winners in advance. In fact, if you’re named a BIG PCH winner, you’ll find out when you open your door and see the Prize Patrol standing there holding a “Big Check” with YOUR NAME on it!

More importantly, PCH NEVER asks our winners for any money in order to claim a prize. It’s because the Publishers Clearing House name is so well known and trusted, that fraudsters use it to attempt to scam unsuspecting people out of money.

Just recently, an Arkansas woman received a call from a man claiming he was with Publishers Clearing House. He told her that she had won $1.5 million and a brand new car, but first she would have to pay a fee of $500.00 before she could receive the money and the car. Fortunately, this smart lady knew to call the police and not give the fraudster one cent!

Unfortunately, some seniors are not as lucky ― or as well informed.  Earlier this year an 80-year-old Chicago grandfather was conned out of several thousands of dollars by fraudulent criminals who claimed he had won $5 Million from Publishers Clearing House. The scammer repeatedly kept asking him to wire money for “shipping and handling and safe delivery.”

Don’t risk letting this happen to you. Remember these important A, B, C’s.

A. PCH awards are Absolutely free! Publishers Clearing House will NEVER ask you to pay to enter or collect a prize award.

B. PCH and our Prize Patrol will not Buzz you on the phone if you’ve won a SuperPrize!

C. Fraudsters may Claim to be with Publishers Clearing House ― but Call the authorities if you suspect any wrongdoing.

You can also call our Customer Service hotline at 1-800-392-4190 if you think someone is trying to scam you using the PCH name.

Protect yourself and stay safe!

Elaina R.
PCH Online Creative

119 thoughts on “PCH Warns: Beware Of Publishers Clearing House Phone Scams!”

1. M says:

I just received a call (blocked phone number) from someone calling himself Brad Anderson and claiming I had won PCH and was going to get a new car and a check if I called this second number right away (876) 787-5701. Hope you guys can do something about that, I don’t know if the police can do anything or not. I looked up the phone number, apparently it’s somewhere in Jamaica.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello M – That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH will never call your phone. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

2. Shannon says:

Same happened to me a woman called from8765050479 and I was to call back 1-866-996-5997 and my phone would have been charged $30 hope no one falls for this

3. Marla McMeans says:

My 14 year old son just relieved a call from someone claiming to be PCH. He brought me the phone. The person on the phone said he was in Jonesboro, AR and needed to know where to send the prize and wanted to know if I was at home, work, or on the road. Said I won 4.9 million and a new pearly which Mercedes. He said his name was Bob Taylor and his number showed up on the phone as 876-441-7612 Kingston, Jamaica. He said all I had to do was use the phone he was calling on and dial 1-866-996-5997 type in the verification number 004525 then call him back on the number that showed up on the phone ext 5. I picked up the house phone and immediately looked on line and called PCH as well as emailed you. In the mean time he called back 2 times to see if I had called the number yet to verify so that they could get my location using the GPS system from my phone. My sons phone has a Arkansas number but I live in Alabama which is where he is right so kind of impossible to show up today. Lol So sad that people do this to people much less use such a popular name as PCH. Too many people are aware of these scams but much more that are not so just want to warn as many as possible..

4. Cheryl Shaffer says:

7/17/2015 Just thought I’d report a PCH impersonator scam. Man who identified himself by name, but not his company called my 93 year old Mother’s house today. Said “they” had a package to deliver and my Mother would need to be at home to receive it. I told him I would be here, but didn’t think my Mom would be home. (I knew she wouldn’t, she is in a rehab center.) He said I could receive the $5million prize. The red flags had already popped up, but I was sure it was a scam when he was so casual about anyone being able to receive this huge prize. I knew PCH showed up with balloons and cameras and a giant check befitting a giant prize, I asked him what company he was working for. He asked ‘Have you heard of Publisher’s Clearing House?’. I said why, yes, I had heard of them, but was sure without a doubt my Mom had not entered any of their contests for years. He asked again what he should do with the prize. I stopped short of telling him what he could do with his prize. I told him he should call back. My Mom doesn’t have caller ID, but the calling party’s number appears on-screen if her television is on. Hopefully, we will be able to catch his phone number and report him to the authorities next time. Thanks for listening & be wary.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for posting this warning for everyone and I’m so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer. As you know, PCH will never ask you to pay to claim a PCH prize and we never contact winners in advance. Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_.

5. Danielle says:

I have got a call from a guy today saying that he is from pch reward..and I have been entered in the top 5…..and in order to claim my free prize….I needed to order 3 magazine that cost 3$and some…change…all I needed to do is have a visa or master card…. All he needed off the card was the card# and the expiration date…….. It seem a bit fishy….I was in line at a store so I really couldn’t talk…but I gave him a card# that I no longer use and it was decline…. And he told me to have a nice day…and sorry you couldn’t get your prize…..was this a pch scam

6. rebecca says:

My husband got a call today saying he won $4.3 million and a new Mercedes convertible, but he needed to ask a few questions first, the first question was, “are you and American citizen”, my husband told him that if he won he would see him at our front door, otherwise, have a good day.

7. Nannette J Peoples says:

I received a call on 7/01/2015 at 8:30 AM saying I was a winner of $5,000,000.00. I knew there should never be any money asked up front, but forgor about no upfront calling. I asked how much was this gonna cost me. She verified the address which was incorrect since I had moved sinced I last entered. The number that called me was 1-888-265-2555, a young lady last name Jennings. I just called that number and it ranged 2 times and immediately went to a busy signal.

8. Brenda Wingard says:

Just got called today. I knew it was probably a scam but wanted to get as much info as possible. When he got down to send $145 from a Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart transfer I knew for certain it was a scam. I was born at night but not last night. LOL!

9. bateman says:

My parents received a call from a man named John on Friday night saying he was with PCH and that she had won a Mercedes Benz and $80,000 for life and needed her to wire money$300 to pay for shipping the car. The money needed to go Western Union to Jamaica. The guy called them 16 times on Friday, 10 times on Saturday, and just called them again tonight. He is talking to both parents trying to pitch them against each other, told them not to talk to me about it anymore, and I have filed a report with the FBI. He is calling from these 2 ph#s 876-788-7915 and 876-472-3689. Not only is he trying to scam my parents but he is harassing them.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Bateman – That was not the real PCH — That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never contacts winners in advance and you never have to pay to claim a PCH prize! Unfortunately, there are scammers out there who impersonate PCH employees to try and get our fan’s personal information and money. The only way you would know if you won is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please be careful and be aware of scammers online by familiarizing yourself with our “Fraud Protection” page (http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_) and always report scammer encounters to abuse@pch.com.

10. Nancy J. KIlpin says:

Please respond ias to what I can further do to protect myself. This has been extremely upsetting and I willl not longer take part in the PCH sweepstakes, or purchases from them.