How Do You Save Money in 2013? By Shopping PCH, of Course!

The New Year is filled with new beginnings!

And this year, I am determined to begin teaching my five-year-old all about saving money. It’s important for her to know that money doesn’t grow on trees – especially after a visit from Santa. So, when I heard there was going to be a new PCHBlog selection of money-saving offers starting in January, I got motivated to make saving money a tradition in our house, too!  But since I’m more of a shopper than a saver, I’m asking you, blog readers, how do you save money?

1_16_Merch

I’ve already planted the “seed of savings” in my daughter’s mind by having Santa leave her a new bank. Then, on New Years Eve, we started to fill it with our own special “10 Quarter Countdown” to commemorate our new resolution of saving for a brighter tomorrow.  It went something like this:

10 – is for good fortune to come

9 – is for money to be earned, gained and won (not from PCH since I work here, of course!)

8 – is for blessings – we’ve had quite a few

7 – is to spend on a good time or two

6 – is for love that just cannot be bought

5 – is for the willpower to spend as we ought

4 – is for toys some big and some small (my daughter came up with this one)

3 – is for the fun we’ll have with them all (she came up with this one, too)

2 – is for the college funds, dividends and interest

1 – is for saving because it makes sense!

She just loved it – and I loved knowing that we would be working toward saving for a whole year to come. Do you have any tips for us? How do you save money daily and all year long?

To get even more motivated about saving, and since it was the reason we started in the first place, my daughter and I took a look at the new PCHBlog selection of values. I explained that there are percentages off of regular prices, Buy 1 Get 1 Free deals and so many offers that shopping PCH really is a better way to shop. She was amazed – and she caught on quick!  By the time we got to page 3 she enthusiastically explained that we should get the Animal Shaped Pancake/Egg Pans and “Save Over 45% off Similar Items Sell Elsewhere for $29.97” because she was SO HUNGRY! That’s when I realized we should have eaten breakfast before browsing the internet!  Silly me!

So, how do you save money?  For now, I’m still learning, but whether you make saving money a tradition or just want a great deal, be sure to check out the new PCHBlog selection of values you’ll find right here (If you haven’t registered already, you’ll need to fill in your information before you can see all our exciting offers) – and let me know which products are your favorites below.

Happy Shopping PCH – and Saving!

Laurel U.

PCH Creative

P.S. The PCHGames 3-Point Shootout Tournament is TODAY! Did you know that you can win prizes just for playing? PLAY NOW!

11 thoughts on “How Do You Save Money in 2013? By Shopping PCH, of Course!”

1. Michaela G. says:

WOW!!! Thank you Laurel U. for that wonderful song and I am going to print it out and sing it with my son!!! I just think this is the best information and gift of savings, I have gotten in a long time, Thank you!!!! Hold on to that daughter of yours she is very sweet and a wonderful song writer.

I do hope you and your family are having a wonderful and safe summer!!!

2. WOODS DINA says:

HELLO BLOGERS, I SAVE MONEY BY BRINGING MY LUNCH TO WORK…I SEE MY COLLEAGUES SPENDING $3 TO $7 ON LUNCHES THAT ADD UP BY WEEKS END.I BRING LEFT OVERS FROM DINNER,OR WHATEVER IS COLLECTED FROM THE FRIDGE,(SALADS,BOILED EGGS AND TUNA,ETC.),I DO SHOP,BUT I HAVE TO THINK HARD ABOUT PURCHASES,IF I SEE SOMETHING I “WANT”,I GIVE MYSELF A WAITING PERIOD,IF I GIVE MYSELF SOME TIME TO REALLY THINK ABOUT THE PURCHASE,I REALIZE THAT I MIGHT NOT REALLY NEED THE PRODUCT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT I DID.NOW, I HAVE TO BE ON A “BUDGET”!THE NECCESITIES COME FIRST,!1}FOOD 2)SHELTER 3]UTILITIES 4)CLOTHING….WHEN I WIN THE PCH SWEEPSTAKES,I WILL BE ABLE TO SPEND ON MORE OF MY “WANTS”!BELIEVE ME,I HAVE ALOT OF “WANTS”!

3. Daniel James says:

I look forward to having some finances to be able to save for taking care of certain needs as well as being a beautiful blessing to others <3

4. Delayne Perry says:

Hi Laurel..what an adorable child! …pretty hair too… That picture is so cute: teaching her how to save for the future.. love it! If I were ever blessed enough to win PCH and make sure my little ones were secure financially, I already have in mind the containers I am going to create for each of them. Every time they get money for anything, they will figure out and put 10% in that container so that they learn to tithe & save early.

5. Joye Hamilton says:

Good Day 2 U, Laurel!

Way back in 1971 when I 1st got married, an aunt of mine told me to, “Save the pennies & the dollars will take care of themselves!” And she was right!

Now widowed, a disabled senior citizen & only on Social Security not much $$ comes in! What my aunt taught me so long ago still rings even truer today than ever before!

And on a fixed income as it turns out I only get to go to the grocery store 2 times a month ~ so buying smart is a necessity!

Mostly I save money by going to the store with a list ~ no matter which store it is! That way impulse buying stays at a minimum & I get what I need. Of course clipping coupons is a must these days.

Also menu planning is a very good way to stretch each & every dollar! One can eat quite well by taking the time to plan meals & snacks. That’s how i treat myself to “the little extras” each month.

Of course I try to login to get my PCH emails & get online everyday to play the PCH games, etc…that is as long as my old laptop doesn’t start making whirring & screeching sounds!:D

Well, Laurel…it’s quite wonderful that you are teaching your young one to start saving now. As she gets older, she will learn to value ALL things & not just what money can buy!

Warm Regards,
    Joye H., OKC, OK

6. What a great idea for a New Year’s resolution the whole family can participate in, Laurel! I checked out the new PCH Blog items and I like the Flour and Sugar Keepers and the Zipper Pull the best! I could use them!
    -Deborah @ PCH

1. Mrs. A.T. says:

Deborah, I bought the flour and sugar keepers last year and love them. Mine are air-tight and the bags fit in them just right. I just ordered the potato cutter because my hands get tired after peeling potatoes. I figure I can peel, use it, and then dice for potato salad, clam chowder… It seems like it will save alot of time too.

7. Diana Hanlon says:

I try to sace every chance it put it away in my can and use it for christamm it just like have a christmass club .

8. Mrs. A.T. says:

Hi again. Some additional tips: Check out the cost to maintain something before you buy it, and remember credit cards are for emergency needs, not for what you want. Unless of course you can afford to use them otherwise, then you wouldn’t need any of these saving tips:)

9. Mrs. A.T. says:

Hi! I save money by: Make menu, (yes, subject to change), cut coupons from paper and yes, pch and organize by month. The current month goes in front of my coupon caddy. My list is on the refrigerator so everyone can add to it. (Though they seldem do). I go through ads in the paper and see if there are any “deals”, freezer and canned items last longer. I mark the page with a big X, and put what store it was in on the list. I match the coupons with the deals also and add these to the written shopping list, mark items with coupons and in paper. Then I type my list in order (store setup) and put coupons I know I will use in front of my coupon caddy in store and list order. I do eat before I go, and I like to go alone, (no added junk food). Somethings I buy name brand, some store brand. Some store brand items are better! If I have other places to go, these are on my list in the order I will go to save on gas. I also buy things in bulk, if I have large containers for them. But you must watch those prices to, some are not less to buy more. When the kids were younger, I would save $20-$30 on a shopping trip. And if there was something I wanted…well just say I didn’t feel guilty about getting it. (Just ordered the potato cutter can’t wait to get it!)

10. allen choy says:

Laurel,
    At first blush on my tiny Galaxy III phone screen i thought your daughter was my Granddaughter Jasmine. And yes, as a Bartender i have coins that i don’t change in for bills because the last few don’t equal a whole dollar. We have a 4′ tall Chinese Vase left to me by my Dad Al, Sr. When he passed 7 years ago. I give the 3 Grandkids my coins each afternoon when I go to work and they know where to put them:) Cute little one by the way:)
    Allen