How You Can Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam!

Hi Everyone!

As you all know, the PCH Prize Patrol is very concerned about scammers on Facebook. Unfortunately, in just a few short weeks of my internship here at Publishers Clearing House, I have realized how many fans are posting on Facebook about friend requests from strangers impersonating the Prize Patrol. These scammers are even telling people they won and need to give them money! I wanted to write a blog to give you all some more information on how you can identify if the person on Facebook is a scammer!

One thing we haven’t done yet on the blog is show you a real Facebook message conversation with a scammer. Well recently one of our fans had a conversation with a scammer who was pretending to be Todd Sloane. This fan was grateful enough to post this on Danielle’s PCH Prize Patrol Fan Page to share with everyone! If you receive a private message like this…it’s a Publishers Clearing House Facebook SCAM!

Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam

Spot A PCH Facebook Scam

So how can you be sure it’s a scam? Well for starters, if you receive a friend request or private Facebook message from anyone claiming to be the PCH Prize Patrol, that’s the first indication! The most important thing to know is that the Prize Patrol will NEVER send personal messages, friend requests or contact you prior to knowing the winner of the prize. The only way that you will know if you have won big ($10,000 and up) is if the Prize Patrol shows up at your doorstep. If you do get into contact with a scammer through a Facebook message or a phone call, DO NOT give them any of your personal information or money! PCH NEVER asks for money in order to claim a prize — winning and entering sweepstakes is ALWAYS free.

Another tip is to look at the number of followers the Facebook page has. For example, if someone named “Todd Sloane” sends you a friend request and you see they only have 3 friends, that’s a way to tell that it’s a Publishers Clearing House Facebook SCAM. The REAL PCH Prize Patrol Fan Pages have thousands of fans! If you do catch a scammer on Facebook, be sure to report them, it would be a BIG help to the Prize Patrol if we have our fans assist in reporting scammers. Not only would you be helping them, but other fans as well! For steps on how to report a scammer refer to this YouTube video created by Danielle:

How to Report A Scam On Facebook

Working with the Prize Patrol and analyzing Facebook postings allowed me to realize that there sadly are scammers out there targeting innocent people. I hope this helps everyone and gives insight on what to look for the next time you are contacted by a scammer on Facebook! Please don’t be fooled, and if you have any questions, you can always leave a comment on the PCH Prize Patrol Fan Pages — Danielle Lam, Todd Sloane or Dave Sayer!

Alyssa C.
Promotion Development Intern

118 thoughts on “How You Can Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam!”

1. Craig Rubin says:

I was contacted yesterday, 10/19/16 by Danielle on Facebook messager, she didn’t want any money but she wanted alot of personal information including my social security number but I did not give it to her. She contacted me several times trying to convince me to give her my ss number so she could confirm my identity. We ended it by her saying she was going to give my winnings to charity. She even sent a picture of herself holding sign with my name on it with the amount of money I had won. I’m glad to know for sure that it was a scam.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Craig, We’re glad you knew that wasn’t the real PCH. As tempting as it may be, we don’t encourage anyone to engage a scammer any longer than is minimally necessary. Simply tell them you know they’re a scam and hang up. PCH doesn’t notify major winners by phone, standard mail, email, or social media, and we never ask for money to claim a prize. Please report all scam contacts to PCH via the following link: You can also check out this FAQ for info on how you can block scammers from contacting you via Facebook: Stay safe everyone and be careful of scammers pretending to be the REAL Prize Patrol!

2. Yazminelly says:

Hey i got a message today from someone name danielle asking me to confirm my name and address.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Yazminelly, We are really sorry to hear that you were contacted by a scammer who was only pretending to be with PCH. Unfortunately, scammers will use the good name and reputation of PCH in an attempt to deceive people. We take the illegal use of our name and the issue of scams very seriously, which is why we regularly educate our fans on how to protect themselves. If you are ever contacted by someone who is posing as the real PCH, please report them to us here: It’s important to remember that the real PCH will never contact major winners via phone, standard mail, email, or Socail media. We also never ask for money to claim a prize. Check out these Safety Tips for some more great info on what to watch for:

3. Sarah Wheeler says:

I got friend requests yesterday from Todd and Danielle. I didn’t have time to chat and when I went back to my messages, they had already deleted everything!

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Sarah, That is definitely a scammer who contacted you! PCH will never send friend requests, private messages, or winner notifications via Facebook; we also never ask for money to claim a prize. Do not give this person any personal information and certainly do not send them any money!! Instead, report them to PCH by completing a Scam Incident Report. Here’s how: Check out this FAQ for info on how to stop scammers from contacting you on Facebook: Please be careful everyone; don’t become a scammer’s victim!

4. Melisa J says:

I got a request from Dave sayer and has been typing to me via facebook. Hasn’t asked anything other than do I play pch. Thanks for the info. I will erase this person asap.

5. chantry leingang says:

Todd is at it again sending Facebook requests thank you for your warning.

6. I was just contacted on Facebook by someone claiming to be Danielle. They tried to get me to agree to send them $299.99 via Western Union. Indicating that I needed to pay for for some type of sender’s form. I immediately informed them that I was aware of the scam. They stopped messaging me after I threatened to expose them. It’s so sad that hard working honest people have to be subjected to scams.