How You Can Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam!

Hi Everyone!

As you all know, the PCH Prize Patrol is very concerned about scammers on Facebook. Unfortunately, in just a few short weeks of my internship here at Publishers Clearing House, I have realized how many fans are posting on Facebook about friend requests from strangers impersonating the Prize Patrol. These scammers are even telling people they won and need to give them money! I wanted to write a blog to give you all some more information on how you can identify if the person on Facebook is a scammer!

One thing we haven’t done yet on the blog is show you a real Facebook message conversation with a scammer. Well recently one of our fans had a conversation with a scammer who was pretending to be Todd Sloane. This fan was grateful enough to post this on Danielle’s PCH Prize Patrol Fan Page to share with everyone! If you receive a private message like this…it’s a Publishers Clearing House Facebook SCAM!

Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam

Spot A PCH Facebook Scam

So how can you be sure it’s a scam? Well for starters, if you receive a friend request or private Facebook message from anyone claiming to be the PCH Prize Patrol, that’s the first indication! The most important thing to know is that the Prize Patrol will NEVER send personal messages, friend requests or contact you prior to knowing the winner of the prize. The only way that you will know if you have won big ($10,000 and up) is if the Prize Patrol shows up at your doorstep. If you do get into contact with a scammer through a Facebook message or a phone call, DO NOT give them any of your personal information or money! PCH NEVER asks for money in order to claim a prize — winning and entering sweepstakes is ALWAYS free.

Another tip is to look at the number of followers the Facebook page has. For example, if someone named “Todd Sloane” sends you a friend request and you see they only have 3 friends, that’s a way to tell that it’s a Publishers Clearing House Facebook SCAM. The REAL PCH Prize Patrol Fan Pages have thousands of fans! If you do catch a scammer on Facebook, be sure to report them, it would be a BIG help to the Prize Patrol if we have our fans assist in reporting scammers. Not only would you be helping them, but other fans as well! For steps on how to report a scammer refer to this YouTube video created by Danielle:

How to Report A Scam On Facebook

Working with the Prize Patrol and analyzing Facebook postings allowed me to realize that there sadly are scammers out there targeting innocent people. I hope this helps everyone and gives insight on what to look for the next time you are contacted by a scammer on Facebook! Please don’t be fooled, and if you have any questions, you can always leave a comment on the PCH Prize Patrol Fan Pages — Danielle Lam, Todd Sloane or Dave Sayer!

Alyssa C.
Promotion Development Intern

51 thoughts on “How You Can Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam!”

1. patt says:

It’s happening right now on my Facebook

1. patt says:

This person is still on my page posing as todd Sloane

2. francisco says:

i believe i recieved a scam today by a facebook person who said they were danielle lam pch and said i will win now im sad i lost my car, house, and my job! my dreams got put under over a person who thinks its funny i hope they stop and get put in jail. SCAMMERS STOP AND ERASE UR FAKE INFO!

3. aaron councilman says:

My wife was contacted through facebook and I found out a name Asutosh dubey ! He is middle eastern

4. Marie Shaffer says:

I just wanted to let you know that I got a friend request from someone calling himself Todd Sloane that this is the conversation: about an hour ago
    Hello, how are you doing?
    I’m fine, how are you?
    Am fine too, how was you day Marie?
    It was good, except for the heat
    Good, you felt lucky today?
    Well, I always feel lucky
    That means your still feeling the luck now rite?
    Great, so do you know why I am speaking with you?
    no, not really
    you like to talk to old ladies
    Lol no man, this has to do with luck mam
    well, I guess this is a lucky conversation Todd
    Well mam it is my pleasure to congratulate you on your winnings
    Winnings?
    Your winnings of $1,000,000 mam
    your check will be delivered tomorrow
    Is this a joke Todd?
    This is not mam
    I do not believe it
    Well mam it will be over in the morning ok
    will it be delivered by mail tomorrow?
    We will come over
    why did you do this on facebook instead of surprising me as PCH allways does it?
    is this a scam?
    Because your winnings is under $2,000,000 mam
    so todd I don’t believe you and here is why, http://blog.pch.com/blog/2013/06/07/how-you-can-spot-a-publishers-clearing-house-facebook-scam/
    How You Can Spot A Publishers Clearing House Facebook Scam! | PCH Blog
    Do you believe me?
    nope
    Chat Conversation End
    Camera
    Choose a sticker or emoticon

5. Rosie Greenawalt says:

This actually happened to me a few days back…but I reported the scam….and no money or my info. Was given.
    Question? I keep recieving every day from PCH….to play the games and do searches in the hopes of winning…..I have been
    DOING THIS FAITHFULLY EVERY DAY FOR OVER A MONTH.

IS THIS REALLY FROM PCH….THE REAL PCH! NOT THE SCAMMERS….IT IS ALWAYS ON FB?

ROSIE GREENAWALT

6. Lana Harvey says:

I was just scammed and I’m very hurt. I was so excited an after reading this I saw it was a scam. Thank you for providing me with this

7. Gail Settell says:

I just received a phone call from someone telling me their name was Mike Peterson, working for UPS. Telling me I need to buy a receivers card at either Wal-Mart or CVS for $250 so he could deliver a package. I told him I thought he was scamming me and hung up.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

You’re very right Gail. That was a scammer! Please report this to abuse@pch.com. Thank you for your help!

1. josephine jones says:

I believe I just got scammedyes he told me to get a PayPal card not got the card I told about come to my house tomorrow

8. Maria Galasso says:

I received a Facebook request from a Todd Sloane. After careful examination of his profile, he only had ONE FRIEND.That friend was an older woman who keeps writing on her wall. Says, she’s the biggest PCH fan and wants to see Todd at her door. I sent Todd a message on FB asking, “Why did he send me a friend request when he only has ONE FRIEND”? NO REPLY YET.