A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

I’m sharing a personal example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam in hopes that it will help you fans stay safe!

Example of PCH Scam

Just last week I was contacted by a scammer on Facebook pretending to be Dave Sayer. When I first saw the friend request, I immediately thought it was weird. I’m already friends with Dave on Facebook, I thought. But still, there was Dave’s happy face smiling at me in the profile photo (the same profile photo that the REAL Dave Sayer uses), and for a second, I thought it was real…and I almost accepted.

These scammers are clever. Very clever. They almost fooled me, and I’m a Publishers Clearing House employee and frequent contributor to the blog. I’ve read story after story about these terrible PCH scams. I know the telltale warning signs. But when you’re in the moment, it’s very easy to forget and become overwhelmed by the excitement of it all.

Because that’s the thing — it IS exciting. I mean who wouldn’t feel a little giddy getting a friend request or personal message from one of the Prize Patrol Elite? THEY want to talk to ME? How cool. Especially when it all seems SO legitimate. I mean for starters, it’s Dave’s picture. His official Prize Patrol photo. And on his page are actual Prize Patrol posts. Things you would see or have seen on the official Prize Patrol pages.

But what’s important to remember is that these are NOT real Prize Patrol pages, and these scammers are illegally taking these photos and information off the real pages. Even though it can seem real or be exciting in the moment, it’s not. It’s a Publishers Clearing House scam, and these people are using the good Publishers Clearing House name to hurt you and go after your hard-earned money.

I’m sharing my personal story with you today in hopes that you all will remember it and not be fooled by these Publishers Clearing House scams. Please, please, please remember to take a minute and really think about what’s happening before you make any moves. And always remember the telltale signs:

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER sends friend requests or private messages on Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER contacts winners through Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER asks for money. At PCH, the winning is ALWAYS FREE!

DON’T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS! Even if a scammer uses what looks like a real Prize Patrol photo, the only real Prize Patrol pages are these:

Dave Sayer PCH Prize Patrol

Todd Sloane PCH Prize Patrol

Danielle Lam PCH Prize Patrol

Stay safe everyone…and when in doubt, ASK US if you have any questions!

Amanda C.
PCH Creative

72 thoughts on “A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam”

1. A says:

I too have received a call from Dave Sayer saying I have won 10,000,000. From a phone # 1 800 319 4821 and his personal number I think, 1 518 328 8621. I don’t believe it. But hearing from yous I know it’s a scam. For he wants 1500. To put stamps on some documents . Said I also won a car and may have to pay for the taxes when it crosses the border into canada. Also says the irs and the cra will recieve their percentage of the winnings before I recieve the check. Says he will arrive at my door and surprise me. Really,

Dated first call was nov 6 at 2:45 pm 2014

He kept saying this is now a business call the more I stayed on the phone and listened to his instructions. I’ve not done nothing and never will, I just hope no one falls into to this scam either.

Good luck and be safe

2. Ida says:

I’ve been getting these phone calls from a 876 area code, several different numbers, for almost 2 months now. Told them I knew it was a scam and keep hanging up. Lot of good that does. Don’t know if it is the same group but I got a letter with directions to call James Anderson at 587-718-0169 along with a check for over $6000 and a warning not to discuss it with anyone. A recording says the phone number is not accepting calls right now and to call back later. I deposited the check just to see if it would clear, and now the Attorney Generals office says I could be held liable for trying to pass a bad check but they don’t want to do anything about the scammers. They don’t even want the phone numbers I have or a copy of the letter. Last time these people called, 3 times this morning, I asked if this was a lucritive operation. Just seems so sad that this is the way they try to feed their families but it must pay off or they wouldn’t keep at it would they?

3. Gotcha says:

Just happened to me @10:54PM this evening. said his name was Dave Sayer and calling me from 876-423-3905 ..said I won 2.5 millions and PCH is sending me a cashier’s check after I go to CVS and get a green dot money pack scratch card in the amount of $850.00 and then call him at 702-421-0845 and give him the 14 numbers of the card and he will write them on the check for insurance purposes and mail me my check tomorrow after I call him back.have a feeling these folks are out of Greensboro Nc as I have been contacted before with a scam that I owed back taxes and I would be arrested if I did not pay that day..same tel # for a call back…I called the FBI and I suggest that anyone who rec’d this scam re PCH call the Greensboro NC FBI and report it to them.

4. Dan Ditton says:

I was contacted on my cell phone by a man named Mr. Mendez saying I WON $950,000.00 and in order to collect this cash and a new car I had to purchase a Declaration Stamp plus a Green Dot Moneypak @ Reload for $300.00. Once the card is handed over I would get my winnings. This is a Scam and wish I had a way to arrest them on the spot with Police at the ready. Beware Folks as they had my cell phone number which I don’t give out to many people.

5. Lisa Kerns says:

Just received another call from the same number. My husband answered but the only wanted to speak with me. These people are unbelievable.

6. randy coffey says:

Thanks for your time and effort you have to be able to make it secure for us all in the future of this game .prayers are with you.