A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

I’m sharing a personal example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam in hopes that it will help you fans stay safe!

Example of PCH Scam

Just last week I was contacted by a scammer on Facebook pretending to be Dave Sayer. When I first saw the friend request, I immediately thought it was weird. I’m already friends with Dave on Facebook, I thought. But still, there was Dave’s happy face smiling at me in the profile photo, and for a second, I thought it was real…and I almost accepted.

These scammers are clever. Very clever. They almost fooled me, and I’m a Publishers Clearing House employee and frequent contributor to the blog. I’ve read story after story about these terrible PCH scams. I know the telltale warning signs. But when you’re in the moment, it’s very easy to forget and become overwhelmed by the excitement of it all.

Because that’s the thing — it IS exciting. I mean who wouldn’t feel a little giddy getting a friend request or personal message from one of the Prize Patrol Elite? THEY want to talk to ME? How cool. Especially when it all seems SO legitimate. I mean for starters, it’s Dave’s picture. His official Prize Patrol photo. And on his page are actual Prize Patrol posts. Things you would see or have seen on the official Prize Patrol page.

But what’s important to remember is that these are NOT real Prize Patrol pages, and these scammers are illegally taking these photos and information off the real page. Even though it can seem real or be exciting in the moment, it’s not. It’s a Publishers Clearing House scam, and these people are using the good Publishers Clearing House name to hurt you and go after your hard-earned money.

I’m sharing my personal story with you today in hopes that you all will remember it and not be fooled by these Publishers Clearing House scams. Please, please, please remember to take a minute and really think about what’s happening before you make any moves. And always remember the telltale signs:

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER sends friend requests or private messages on Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER contacts winners through Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER asks for money. At PCH, the winning is ALWAYS FREE!

DON’T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS! Even if a scammer uses what looks like a real Prize Patrol photo, the only real Prize Patrol page is this:

PCH Prize Patrol

Stay safe everyone…and when in doubt, ASK US if you have any questions!

Amanda C.
PCH Creative

116 thoughts on “A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam”

1. pat garoutte says:

What to believe today… one scam after another! I received a check for a “returned item” that I didn’t return (anyway, recently). It was a small amount ($18.00) but it ask to update my account records. Oh dear, what’s an ole lady to do? Think I’ll stop PHC all together; better safe than sorry! I’m not for sure this is the right thing to do…is this a scam????

2. Darshan says:

I received an e-mail from Patrol and tell me to send some information about me name age address phone etc. also it give me the ticket# and winning # that I have won.

3. Robin says:

I am so sick and tired of these people telling me that I won, asked me to send money to get money, I won’t fall for this again, I won’t stop playing pch, cuz I know someday my shop will come in….

4. Fritz says:

LOL, got a call just now from a “David Williams” at 1-876-394-3209, who claimed that I’d won a major prize and asked me to call that same number back and ask for him! He had an accent, bobbled his “script” (I suspect he was winging it), and was all in all very unconvincing. Also? My phone puts that number in Jamaica. Pretty sure PCH is not run out of Jamaica…

5. they called me this week,when he mentions publishers clearing,your ears perk up, but the more he talked the more he tipped me off, he had an accent that sounded arabic,I’ve lived in Lybia and the accent was familiar,

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Melba, as a reminder, the real PCH will never send friend requests, private messages, call, email, our winning fans. We will never ask for money to claim a prize. -Stay safe!

6. Heather says:

I received an email from PublishersClearingHouse@e.superprize.pch.com, Is this truly PCH?

1. Patty says:

I was wondering the same thing. I received an email from the same email address you posted. It asked for me to click on respond now. I can’t seem to find anything about this email address or even to confirm if it’s legit and not a scam. I am so afraid to click on it. Please reply if you have found out anything on this. Thank you.

7. Lexas Teague says:

Just received an email from winners@clearinghouse.com, is this a scam email? It said:
    FROM THE DESK OF
    DEBORAH HOLLAND
    EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT.
    PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE

You have been declared the Publishers Clearing House mega winner of $550,000.00 in the recent on going draw held on 20th of December 2015.

For verification Contact William Kelley, Reply and fill in the infomation below ASAP .