A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

I’m sharing a personal example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam in hopes that it will help you fans stay safe!

Example of PCH Scam

Just last week I was contacted by a scammer on Facebook pretending to be Dave Sayer. When I first saw the friend request, I immediately thought it was weird. I’m already friends with Dave on Facebook, I thought. But still, there was Dave’s happy face smiling at me in the profile photo, and for a second, I thought it was real…and I almost accepted.

These scammers are clever. Very clever. They almost fooled me, and I’m a Publishers Clearing House employee and frequent contributor to the blog. I’ve read story after story about these terrible PCH scams. I know the telltale warning signs. But when you’re in the moment, it’s very easy to forget and become overwhelmed by the excitement of it all.

Because that’s the thing — it IS exciting. I mean who wouldn’t feel a little giddy getting a friend request or personal message from one of the Prize Patrol Elite? THEY want to talk to ME? How cool. Especially when it all seems SO legitimate. I mean for starters, it’s Dave’s picture. His official Prize Patrol photo. And on his page are actual Prize Patrol posts. Things you would see or have seen on the official Prize Patrol page.

But what’s important to remember is that these are NOT real Prize Patrol pages, and these scammers are illegally taking these photos and information off the real page. Even though it can seem real or be exciting in the moment, it’s not. It’s a Publishers Clearing House scam, and these people are using the good Publishers Clearing House name to hurt you and go after your hard-earned money.

I’m sharing my personal story with you today in hopes that you all will remember it and not be fooled by these Publishers Clearing House scams. Please, please, please remember to take a minute and really think about what’s happening before you make any moves. And always remember the telltale signs:

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER sends friend requests or private messages on Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER contacts winners through Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER asks for money. At PCH, the winning is ALWAYS FREE!

DON’T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS! Even if a scammer uses what looks like a real Prize Patrol photo, the only real Prize Patrol page is this:

PCH Prize Patrol

Stay safe everyone…and when in doubt, ASK US if you have any questions!

Amanda C.
PCH Creative

132 thoughts on “A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam”

1. Just got a call from a Mr. David Anderson, in Jamaica saying I had won $2.5 MM and wanted to send a guy to my place with a box of jewelry and a briefcase with $10,000. All this thru PCH and Walmart. Hung up on him last night, he called again today and gave me all this info. Is this a scam? Sounds like it, he even called back when I said I thought this was a scam 4 times! Wants me to go with the delivery guy to a bank! This is just too weird.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Mark, sadly, that sounds like a scam. You will never be notified like that should you win a prize from PCH. Report the scammers to us by completing a scam incident report. Click this link to find out how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH, then visit this link to help protect yourself: http://bit.ly/PCHFraudPrevention. Also, check out this link for information on how PCH notifies their winners: http://bit.ly/How-are-PCH-winners-notified.

2. Jo Simmons says:

I guess I was wrong. I was almost lured as well. They asked for my address telephone number and age. No one asked for money. but this sucks, honestly. I work and go to school, and take care of five children whom came yo me in need of help.. I needed a pick me up today, but this was a major let down. Such is life. Be safe everyone and God bless.

3. krystle Lannaman says:

I just received a phone call from a 1876.458.5261 named Arthur Brown he said I won 2.5 million and a new mercedes Benz? He then told me that I would need to pay a tax fee. I assume this is not real

4. Molly Wygant says:

I received an email from Todd Sloane claiming I am a winner of $850,000. There is a pdf to download. Is this legitimate? It says the following: PCH lotto claims code 89773453. Please advise me. Thank you.

5. ronald alllen says:

I am presently being contacted by “Dave Franklin’ who says he’s the gray-haired man in the picture. I have already followed certain steps such as: 1) went to Staples to pick up 15 pages of info which he said to ask for in color. The title page has this caption: Ret: US/9420×2/68; Batch: 074/09/ZY369. 2) went to the bank to send IRS taxes to Shirl Carter, addressed certified cheque ($1200.00) overnight mail to 5603 Wisteria Way, Livermore, California 94551. 3) was called last night that this morning I would receive two checks via UPS around 10:30am ( Missouri). I am constantly reminded via telephone not to speak of these actions to ANYONE. AM I BEING SCAMMED??? Please reply promptly. And, yes, all along I am being prompted to act now.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Ronald, we’re sorry, but you’ve been contacted by a scammer! Please be aware that PCH will never, for any reason whatsoever ask a winner to pay money to claim a sweepstakes prize. We will never notify a winner by telephone, text messaging, Twitter or on Instagram. Our Prize Patrol will never send friends requests or notify winners via our Facebook Page. This link will provide you with some helpful information pertaining to scams: http://bit.ly/PCHFraudPrevention. Please report this scam to us by clicking here: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. Have a safe day!

1. Joda Barta says:

wow. sound like i was almost scammed, but in a way i havent heard of before. on july 13 at 425 pm, a man with a accent called my cell phone number and asked is this joda and my last name, i said yes he said congratulations this is–, i was so taken aback i cant remember his name, he said youve won 500.000 dollars and a mercedes. and we are on our way to you to deliver it, we are now driving in a car, i said but im at work, he said we are on calumet ave in munster in, can you give me directions to your work and i did that, he then proceeded to ask appropriate questions such as do you wish to make this public ie on tv or private. the antenna went up when he asked i i had a western union nearby, then my heart sunk. i asked him why, he said so i can give you a receipt, i point blank asked him is this a scam ? this seemed to make him angry and he said forget it then and hung up. I can say the fact that they said they were on their way and knew a familar street and town lured me in for a minute.