A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

I’m sharing a personal example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam in hopes that it will help you fans stay safe!

Example of PCH Scam

Just last week I was contacted by a scammer on Facebook pretending to be Dave Sayer. When I first saw the friend request, I immediately thought it was weird. I’m already friends with Dave on Facebook, I thought. But still, there was Dave’s happy face smiling at me in the profile photo, and for a second, I thought it was real…and I almost accepted.

These scammers are clever. Very clever. They almost fooled me, and I’m a Publishers Clearing House employee and frequent contributor to the blog. I’ve read story after story about these terrible PCH scams. I know the telltale warning signs. But when you’re in the moment, it’s very easy to forget and become overwhelmed by the excitement of it all.

Because that’s the thing — it IS exciting. I mean who wouldn’t feel a little giddy getting a friend request or personal message from one of the Prize Patrol Elite? THEY want to talk to ME? How cool. Especially when it all seems SO legitimate. I mean for starters, it’s Dave’s picture. His official Prize Patrol photo. And on his page are actual Prize Patrol posts. Things you would see or have seen on the official Prize Patrol page.

But what’s important to remember is that these are NOT real Prize Patrol pages, and these scammers are illegally taking these photos and information off the real page. Even though it can seem real or be exciting in the moment, it’s not. It’s a Publishers Clearing House scam, and these people are using the good Publishers Clearing House name to hurt you and go after your hard-earned money.

I’m sharing my personal story with you today in hopes that you all will remember it and not be fooled by these Publishers Clearing House scams. Please, please, please remember to take a minute and really think about what’s happening before you make any moves. And always remember the telltale signs:

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER sends friend requests or private messages on Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER contacts winners through Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER asks for money. At PCH, the winning is ALWAYS FREE!

DON’T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS! Even if a scammer uses what looks like a real Prize Patrol photo, the only real Prize Patrol page is this:

PCH Prize Patrol

Stay safe everyone…and when in doubt, ASK US if you have any questions!

Amanda C.
PCH Creative

97 thoughts on “A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam”

1. Spirit says:

GOt a text from a HECTOR Conde saying my phone number won the PCH prize. First thought was don’t they surprise you with the prize?

2. Louise says:

Just got a call from someone pretending to be delivering $957.000 to my home, but I had to call this number ***-***-**** asking for Michael Williams. They even gave me the package number mf899USA. They said I had to call right that minute in order to get my prize. They even called back to see if I got the number. I told them that this was a scam and the Publishers Clearing House did not deliver prizes that way. They hung up.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

I am really happy that you knew that it was not the real PCH who contacted you! We never notify major winners over the phone or through standard mail, email or Facebook. We would really appreciate if you would send us the details of this scam call you received. PCH does not send private Facebook messages to our fans so please complete a Scam Incident Report. Here’s how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. There are a lot of scammers out there who use the good name and reputation of PCH, as well as the names of those of us on the Prize Patrol. Please be careful everyone!!

3. just rec’d in the mail a letter stating I won 1,000,000.00 one million dollars. contact Peter James within 5 days for method of payment. I will be eligible for a lump sum payout to my preferred bank account. I must keep this award confidential until processed. signed Andrew Goldberg, President,PCH.

4. Sally says:

So if you won a monthly prize ( not a major prize ) for instance how would PCH contact you?

1. Grace Hooser says:

received a letter saying they had been trying to contact me that I need to call number 1-866-308-1015 by the 1st of December this ID # will be disqualified

5. Sam says:

Does PCH contact and have u play games and earn tokens via email?
    I have recived numerous emails asking me to sign in . So complete a search to earn tokens …
    I was simply wondering if it were real

6. Kim Weeks says:

10K weeks ago, I was told I WON 4K,

7. Brenda says:

I received a letter with a check for 6,850.50 stating I had won $2,500,000 and this check would cover the disbursement and insurance fees. When I took the check to the bank, we were advised to faxed a copy to the bank it was drawn on for verification. The bank notified us that the check is not valid.

1. Stephanie says:

Do you remember what the company name was on the check? I know someone who received similar check I’m thinking exact same amount and company it was from was in Florida didn’t have pch on the check anywhere