A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

I’m sharing a personal example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam in hopes that it will help you fans stay safe!

Example of PCH Scam

Just last week I was contacted by a scammer on Facebook pretending to be Dave Sayer. When I first saw the friend request, I immediately thought it was weird. I’m already friends with Dave on Facebook, I thought. But still, there was Dave’s happy face smiling at me in the profile photo (the same profile photo that the REAL Dave Sayer uses), and for a second, I thought it was real…and I almost accepted.

These scammers are clever. Very clever. They almost fooled me, and I’m a Publishers Clearing House employee and frequent contributor to the blog. I’ve read story after story about these terrible PCH scams. I know the telltale warning signs. But when you’re in the moment, it’s very easy to forget and become overwhelmed by the excitement of it all.

Because that’s the thing — it IS exciting. I mean who wouldn’t feel a little giddy getting a friend request or personal message from one of the Prize Patrol Elite? THEY want to talk to ME? How cool. Especially when it all seems SO legitimate. I mean for starters, it’s Dave’s picture. His official Prize Patrol photo. And on his page are actual Prize Patrol posts. Things you would see or have seen on the official Prize Patrol pages.

But what’s important to remember is that these are NOT real Prize Patrol pages, and these scammers are illegally taking these photos and information off the real pages. Even though it can seem real or be exciting in the moment, it’s not. It’s a Publishers Clearing House scam, and these people are using the good Publishers Clearing House name to hurt you and go after your hard-earned money.

I’m sharing my personal story with you today in hopes that you all will remember it and not be fooled by these Publishers Clearing House scams. Please, please, please remember to take a minute and really think about what’s happening before you make any moves. And always remember the telltale signs:

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER sends friend requests or private messages on Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER contacts winners through Facebook.

• The REAL Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol NEVER asks for money. At PCH, the winning is ALWAYS FREE!

DON’T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS! Even if a scammer uses what looks like a real Prize Patrol photo, the only real Prize Patrol pages are these:

Dave Sayer PCH Prize Patrol

Todd Sloane PCH Prize Patrol

Danielle Lam PCH Prize Patrol

Stay safe everyone…and when in doubt, ASK US if you have any questions!

Amanda C.
PCH Creative

84 thoughts on “A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam”

1. Nan says:

I’m assuming Ken Moore, is not a PCH Events Manager who would be a real employee of PCH with an email address of infxx@outlook.com…….? I received an email that I was one of 4 winners, requesting my full Name, Address, Age, Phone number, Sex, Occupation, State, Country, AND Winning email address.

Is this is a real winning email ?

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Nan,

Thank you for posting this warning for everyone and I’m so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer. As you know, PCH will never ask you to pay to claim a PCH prize and we never contact winners in advance. Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_.

2. JIM says:

Just spent nearly an hour on the phone with a gentleman claiming to be David Sayer of PCH. he gave me a claim number for 2.5 million dollars and directed me to call a number 1 -876-546-8934 to speak to a mr James Franklin. This gentleman directed me to go to the bank and withdraw 2500.00 for my portion of the taxes and then go to the PO and get an overnight express mail envelope and he would give me the address of the IRS to send it. I became suspicious when I went to the bank to get the money and they questioned whether it was legit or a scam.I really got suspicious when he told me to put the 2500.00 in cash in the envelope When I suggested that I might be caling the FBI he hung upp. IT WAS A SCAM I AM SURE1111

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Jim,

That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH will never call your phone. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

3. ethankcarla m Antee For Life myk says:

Pch Newest Winner Carla Michelle Antee Thank you Amanda

4. kimberly says:

Just spent the morning with a gentleman calling himself Edward Stewart////supervisor for prize patrol teams in Missouri today….ready to deliver my 995,000.00 and a new Mercedes…..I have to be home to accept delivery, before bank closes so homeland security can escort me to bank to see that the check arrive and is deposited safely….much more hoopla, but bottom line is that the homeland security or some other agency requires that I direct deposit 1,000 to a bank assigned by the government to accept these funds….because it is illegal for the company to bring more than 10,000.00 into the state without paying that “tax” up front…..but , of course, when I receive my deposit confirmation they will immediately bring my prizes which will reimburse me in full and then some. I quoted this site’s assurances that phc does not work that way and no I would not send money….So, please tell me than I did not just throw away a legitimate prize!……:) ps he used a phone number 1 867 464 0175…terrible connection , by the way. Hope this is helpful. thanks

5. Sharon L Johnson says:

6. molly says:

My soon to be husband got a call today from Dave Bradley claiming that he won 850,000 gave him the check number and Vin on a car he suppose to win as a bonus we were in the moment drove to are nearest western union and paid 100 dollars I’m calling the pch toll free number Monday to talk to someone about this I’m going to tell my fiancé if he calls to say I know this is a scam and to not call again. I know we are out a 100 bucks but hopefully not else worst happens

7. Maryann Oldham says:

Today I was called by a supposedly by Dave Sayer, that I had I won a second prize which is a cashiers check. I have caller ID and the number that showed up was 876-582-6228 but the man that called left a voice mail and said the number was 876-582-6228. Something is phony here. Will not respond. He did say he was from PCH.
    Does PCH make phone calls?