PCH Scams: Red Flags To Look For From Our Own Lori Shore!

Here at Publishers Clearing House, we take PCH scams VERY seriously. Since 1967 we have been running the world’s most well known sweepstakes with a guarantee to award all prizes as offered. That’s why scammers often use our good name to attempt to rip off innocent people.

Recently, our very own Lori Shore received a PCH scam email in her personal inbox indicating that she had won $1 Million from PCHLotto. Now, Lori’s worked in our Contest Department for nearly 5 years, the department that oversees the winner selection process, so she knew right away that it was not legitimate. Lori exclaimed,  “The very first thought that popped in my head when I read the email was, I can’t believe they’re trying to scam someone from the PCH contest department, how ironic!”

But you don’t have to work for Publishers Clearing House to spot PCH scams! While those who try to perpetrate PCH scams do their homework and use the names of real company officials, there are easy ways to determine if a communication is fraudulent. Lori described to me some of the red flags she spotted in the email she received and I want to share them with you.

1.  RED FLAG #1 Publishers Clearing House notifies winners of our big SuperPrize awards by sending the Prize Patrol to surprise them in person, never via email.  If you’re a big winner, the PCH Prize Patrol will show up at your door with flowers, balloons, champagne and a “Big Check” ― just like you see on TV! Smaller prizes are sent via registered mail.

2. RED FLAG #2 The amount that was listed in the email was $1 Million US Dollars. The “US Dollars” is a tip off that the scam email originated overseas. PCH has always been located here on Long Island, New York and “US Dollars” is not language typically used in our communications.

3. RED FLAG #3 The email requested that Lori respond to provide more information. As we’ve learned from law enforcement, this is often where an unsuspecting person might get into trouble. They might call the phone number listed on the email and be told they must wire money to cover taxes and fees before they can claim their big prize. Publishers Clearing House would NEVER, EVER ask winners to pay any fees or taxes to claim a prize ― it’s against the law!

Lori knew to forward the email she received to our Consumer Affairs Department who shares all such reports with our law enforcement partners. But, what should YOU do if you receive a similar email? First, DO NOT respond! Then, please forward it to abuse@pch.com or call 1-800-392-4190.

Although we’ve been working with consumer protection and law enforcement officials to put a stop to PCH scams, they are still out there. So please keep the red flags from Lori in mind should you or any of your friends or family receive a similar email.

Stay safe!

Elaina R.
PCH Online Creative.

P.S. Friends, please remember that PCH also does not notify big winners via Facebook or telephone.

Other Blogs You May Like:

58 thoughts on “PCH Scams: Red Flags To Look For From Our Own Lori Shore!”

1. Kim Weeks says:

Safty First

2. Nettie Jenkins says:

I am sooooooo glad about this blog because I here a lot of this on Facebook. PCH is the best ………#Sweepstakes around not only because they giveaway lots of prizes but because they want to keep us safe! #SafetyFirst

3. Pat says:

I just received a call on my cell phone from a foreign speaking person saying that he was “David Sayer” from PCH and that I have just won 2.1 million dollars and a new Mercades Car… I told him to give me his phone number so that I can call him back after I got off work… he gave me 2 different phone numbers and they were, 719-448-6768 and 1-876-584-6105 .. I obviously did NOT call back as I recognized this as a Scam.. Beware People, they have our cell numbers… :-(

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Pat! We’re so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer. You never have to pay to claim a PCH prize and we will never call your phone! Please be careful and be aware of scammers online by familiarizing yourself with our “Fraud Protection” page (http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_) and always report scammer encounters to abuse@pch.com.

1. Jessica says:

I received a call today on my cell phone from a man claiming to be Michael Bradley from PCH (his number was 1-817-865-1824). He said I was the 3rd place winner & I had won a 2016 Mercedes Bends & $950K. I was very skeptical & kept asking him questions & he continued to assure me this wasn’t a joke it was very real & he said the lawyer handling this was Mary Adams & all I needed to do was to call 1-866-996-5997 & give them my pkg . # 232373 & he would call me back afterwards. He called me back twice to see if I had called them & I had said not yet I was waiting for my husband to be here when I did. So he waited a little longer & called back & this time he said he was David this time instead of Michael (Whoops……..). I just told him yes I had called that # when actually I hadn’t. He wanted to know what they said & I told him they wanted $ & I said PCH doesn’t ask you for $ and he said it was for shipping & handling for what I had won. He kept repeating that God was doing this for me & I hope he gets whats coming to him!!!!

2. Sara says:

Mine was for 2.4 million…..got defensive when I asked him about it being a scam. Looked up the number and oh my gosh look! It’s a scam!!