D-Day Fascinating Facts — Find Them All on PCHSearch!

Dear Searchers,

Today’s June 6th — a big day in History. Do you know what it is? It’s the 68th Anniversary of D-Day.

As I sat down to write this blog, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of D-Day. I mean, I used to pay attention in History class, have caught a documentary or two on the subject and I’ve even seen Saving Private Ryan, too. On June 6th 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed along heavily-guarded beaches of Normandy in an attempt to gain a foothold and begin marching across Europe in what would become the end of Hitler.  I soon discovered history is alive and there are so many more fascinating facts to be found with just a few searches at PCHSearch. My search results were teeming with useful links with specific information on the Invasion of Normandy, including little-known facts and personal stories of brave military members.

One site I came across told the incredibly moving story of two brothers-in-arms. The men were among the first Allied troops to land on Gold Beach. One was shot almost immediately and they were soon separated. Because of the large number of casualties from that day, each of the men believed that the other had been killed. Years later, while visiting the D-Day Museum in Arromanches, one of the men was signing the Remembrance Book and saw the signature of his former comrade. He couldn’t believe it! Soon, the two men found themselves reunited after sixty-seven years of believing that the other didn’t survive. That’s just one of the many personal accounts I found using PCHSearch that really made realize history is alive.

On this important day, I definitely encourage you to take a few moments and find out more fascinating facts for yourself using PCHSearch&Win. To get you started, I put together a little quiz. Enter your answers in the comments section below. Let’s see how you do:

1. The 50-mile stretch of the Normandy coast was divided into five sectors. Can you name them? (Hint: one is mentioned in this blog.)
2. Do you know where the D-Day Memorial Complex is located? There’s a special reason for its location, what is it?
3. Which General uttered these famous words?  “We will accept nothing less than full victory!”

PCHSearch is a great place to research any important topic of interest and find fascinating facts. And while you’re learning and expanding your horizons, you’ll get your daily SuperPrize entry and you could even win instantly. Now that’s what I call a “win-win.”

Kate M.

20 thoughts on “D-Day Fascinating Facts — Find Them All on PCHSearch!”

1. Bruce Brinkman says:

Being that I live in Bedford, Va. where the D-Day Memorial is located, I invite the PCH crew and whomever to come and see this tribute to D-day and all it stood for. I am a Navy veteran and all vets are welcome too.

2. brandi smith says:

Please bless me n my family april 30,2013 for the forever super prize thanku n god bless pch staff n pch prize patrol initials b.s.

3. Jussie At PCH Jussie At PCH says:

Hi PCH Search&Win Blog readers! The answers to the questions are as follows:

The beaches of Omaha, Utah, Gold, Juno and Sword.

D-Day Memorial Complex is located in Bedford, Virginia because it incurred the largest loss per capita of the 6,603 American casualties lost on that day. (A person in the blog answered: Arromanches. There is a Memorial there as well, so this person is also correct. I probably should have specified that I was looking for the U.S. Memorial Complex.)

3. Which General uttered these famous words? “We will accept nothing less than full victory!”
    General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Great job!!

4. alberto eduardo hernandez jorge says:

Gracias..Deseo solamente decir con el mayor respeto hacia aquellos hombres que participaron en aquella memorable batalla y muchos perecieron alli en esas playas ya que no poseo un conosimientoEXACTO DE AQUELLOS ECHOS .

5. Nancy Syts says:

Correction to second question: Arromanche, Normandy, France.

6. Nancy Syts says:

Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword Beaches.
    Pearl Harbour, Oahu, Hawaii
    General Dwight D. Eisenhauer

7. Kanika Loeung says:

I found using PCHSearch that really made realize in D Day June 6 1944:
    UTHA BEACH
    OMAHA Beach
    GOLD Beach
    JUNO Beach
    Sword Beach

The D-Day Memorial Complex is located in Bedford, Virginia.

General uttered these famous words was Dwight D. Eisenhower.

8. Joyce Tong says:

The answer to your first question is Omaha, Utah Gold Juno and Sword.
    Second question East of the original cemetery on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach.
    Third question Dwight D. Eisenhower.

9. Ethel Salyer says:

Gold,Juno,Utha, Sword, Omaha
    Pearl Harbor.
    General Dwight Eisenhauer

10. Shandee Lang says:

(Answers are in order according to the Questions asked)
    1) Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword
    2) Part A- The D-Day Memorial is located in Bedford County in Bedford, VA 24523 . Part B-The memorial is to “honor, valor, fidelity, and sacrifice of the Allied Forces that took part in the landing at Normandy, France, on 6 June, 1944″ Bedford, Virginia was one of twelve Virginia Communities that provided a company of soldiers to the 29th infantry division in February 1941. Some thirty soldiers from Bedford were still in that company on D-Day but at the end of D-Day nineteen “Bedford Boys” were dead and four others died in the days that followed. Proportionately with population, which was just under 3,200, the Bedford community suffered the most severe D-Day losses.
    3) General Dwight D. Eisenhower