PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH

The name Publishers Clearing House is such a well recognized brand, welcomed and trusted in so many homes, that it is often illegally used by scam artists in an attempt to fraudulently con consumers for the sole purpose of soliciting cash.  PCH would like to remind you to BEWARE OF SCAMS posing as legitimate sweepstakes.  Scammers may email you or send you a letter ‘claiming’ to be from Publishers Clearing House.  Oftentimes, scammers may send out real-looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will ultimately ask you to send money in order to claim a non-existent prize.  If you receive such a contact, DO NOT send or wire money!  At Publishers Clearing House the winning is always FREE and it is never necessary to pay any money to enter or win our famous PCH Sweepstakes!

PCH has been actively attacking scams like these working with law enforcement and undertaking a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs.  From an educational standpoint we have posted alerts in our mail and on our website at pch.com.  We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines reminding all callers that if it is not free it is not a legitimate prize.  We ask consumers to provide us details of the scams and PCH keeps track of these reported incidents through a comprehensive anti-scam database.  Working closely with law enforcement and consumer protection groups, we continually share information with these valued partners in an effort to assist in targeting scammers and attempting to bring them to justice. Among others, PCH has worked closely with the Federal Trade Commission,  Postal Inspection Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the US Attorney’s Office.  We are also pleased to be a member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force that brings together leading industry, consumer protection and not-for-profit groups to brainstorm on efforts to target and reduce these scams.

PCH is pleased to add a new weapon in the fight against fraud by becoming a designated contributor to the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Sentinel Database Network.  Consumer Sentinel, maintained by the FTC, is a secure online database of consumer complaints available only to law enforcement.  Law enforcement officials from all around the country use the information in this national database to enhance and coordinate sweepstakes fraud investigations.  Publishers Clearing House is proud to be one of a select group of corporate entities that contributes to the FTC’s Consumer Sentinel Database!

Remember, if you receive a contact from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House, and you are asked to send or wire money to claim a prize, DO NOT!  If you believe you have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please report it using our Scam Incident Report.

At PCH we care about consumers and are committed to helping you stay safe, informed and protected!

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

478 thoughts on “PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH”

1. Heather says:

I received a email from debholland-pch@hotmail.com that I won and need to contact Deborah Holland . Is this true

2. Matthew says:

I’m currently being targeted I believe. They started texting me on Facebook and said I won. I gave them my phone number. They said I need to wire 500 dollars for tax withholdings. This is there number they are texting me from (859) 964-1098.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hey Matthew! We are really sorry to hear that you were contacted by a scammer who was only pretending to be with PCH. Unfortunately, scammers will use the good name and reputation of PCH in an attempt to deceive people. We take the illegal use of our name and the issue of scams very seriously, which is why we regularly educate our fans on how to protect themselves. If you are ever contacted by someone who is posing as the real PCH, please report them to us here: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. It’s important to remember that the real PCH will never contact major winners via phone, standard mail, email, or Facebook (friend request or private message). We also never ask for money to claim a prize. Check out these Safety Tips for some more great info on what to watch for: http://bit.ly/PCH-Safety-Tips.

3. Adam says:

We just received a text saying ” You have won publishers clearing house draw! Contact pch.desk@outlook.com for claim. This message including any attachments. Contains confidential information. This is a scam, right?

4. I received an email staying I won 3,000,000 USD from Oct and to email them back my name address phone number sex and age to this email pchclaimsofficedpt@foxmail.com….is this scam???

1. Adrienne Smith says:

I received a similar email around 3pm today. Except mine said I won $3,000.000.00 USD from the PCH Lottery 2016. To send name, address, phone number, age and sex to the same email address you typed out. I probably messed up because I did send the information. I didn’t get a email back saying it couldn’t be sent because the address wasn’t found, so I’m hoping and praying this is true. No bank info or requested amounts of money has been asked of me, I’m wondering if this is true also, here is to hoping and praying.

5. Jennifer Moran says:

Received an email from debholland.pchinquiries@hotmail.com saying I was a to contact her.

6. Jeanette Porter says:

Consumers Affairs:

This is Jeanette Porter, Kansas City, Kansas. One of your customers. I thought
    you would like to know that today I received a phone call from a gentleman, (with
    an accent), who identified himself as John Wilson, with Publishers Clearing House.

I did not recoginize the phone number so did not answer the call. He left a message
    on my answering machine, telling me

Gave his name, and representing Publishers Clearing House, and that he was
    holding a cashier’s check for me in the amount of 5.5 million dollars. Gave me
    a phone number 1-876-556-7906 as the number to call immediately.

SEEING THE 876 (Puerto Rico) I RECOGNIZED A SCAM AND DID NOT
    RETURN THE CALL.

I thought you might like to know that your name is being used. I know this is
    usually done in a “targeted area” so thought you might like to be notified that
    you will probably have more complaints from the Kansas City Area.

Sincerely,

Jeanette Porter

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Jeanette, you’re definitely describing a scam. PCH does not contact winners via phone and you never need to pay to claim a PCH prize. Please report this scam to us by completing a scam incident report. Click this link to find out how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH, and be sure to check out our Fraud Protection site to find out how to stay safe: http://bit.ly/PCHFraudPrevention. Stay safe everyone!

7. Dawn says: