PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH

The name Publishers Clearing House is such a well recognized brand, welcomed and trusted in so many homes, that it is often illegally used by scam artists in an attempt to fraudulently con consumers for the sole purpose of soliciting cash.  PCH would like to remind you to BEWARE OF SCAMS posing as legitimate sweepstakes.  Scammers may email you or send you a letter ‘claiming’ to be from Publishers Clearing House.  Oftentimes, scammers may send out real-looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will ultimately ask you to send money in order to claim a non-existent prize.  If you receive such a contact, DO NOT send or wire money!  At Publishers Clearing House the winning is always FREE and it is never necessary to pay any money to enter or win our famous PCH Sweepstakes!

PCH has been actively attacking scams like these working with law enforcement and undertaking a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs.  From an educational standpoint we have posted alerts in our mail and on our website at pch.com.  We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines reminding all callers that if it is not free it is not a legitimate prize.  We ask consumers to provide us details of the scams and PCH keeps track of these reported incidents through a comprehensive anti-scam database.  Working closely with law enforcement and consumer protection groups, we continually share information with these valued partners in an effort to assist in targeting scammers and attempting to bring them to justice. Among others, PCH has worked closely with the Federal Trade Commission,  Postal Inspection Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the US Attorney’s Office.  We are also pleased to be a member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force that brings together leading industry, consumer protection and not-for-profit groups to brainstorm on efforts to target and reduce these scams.

PCH is pleased to add a new weapon in the fight against fraud by becoming a designated contributor to the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Sentinel Database Network.  Consumer Sentinel, maintained by the FTC, is a secure online database of consumer complaints available only to law enforcement.  Law enforcement officials from all around the country use the information in this national database to enhance and coordinate sweepstakes fraud investigations.  Publishers Clearing House is proud to be one of a select group of corporate entities that contributes to the FTC’s Consumer Sentinel Database!

Remember, if you receive a contact from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House, and you are asked to send or wire money to claim a prize, DO NOT!  If you believe you have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please contact us at 1-800-392-4190.  Or, if you receive a suspicious email fraudulently claiming to be from PCH, PCHLotto or PCHSearch&Win, please forward it to our fraud reporting mailbox, abuse@pch.com.

At PCH we care about consumers and are committed to helping you stay safe, informed and protected!

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

277 thoughts on “PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH”

1. amanda says:

I feel real dumb I got a message on facebook and then a call from todd solom the number is 936-242-0051 I gave them 100$ he stated that I was for the taxes but then wanted to have 400 more and I hope that I don’t get identy theft c ause I gave personal info I don’t know what to very scared and feel stupid

2. Clark Vandon says:

I received a call today from a Franklyn Smith he said I was a win of Two and a half million dollars and a 2014 E class Convertible Mercedes from PCH his phone number was 8763549018

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Clark – That was a scammer! Please report this to abuse@pch.com and fraud.org at your earliest convenience.

3. thomas green says:

I receive a called from someone claiming to be calling from PCH. The caller claimed I won 5.6 million + a new car.+ The caller name given to me and his telephone number is Dan Bradley telrphone number is 414-934-6397.. He also gave me a claim number was NPU-348-G77. It look like a scam to me. Please advise.

4. MARY STOKJOSA says:

I RECEIVED A LETTER AND A CHECK TODAY FROM A COMPANY IN Massachusetts TELLING ME TO CASH THE CHECK AND I WILL RECEIVE THE 2 MILLION PRIZE WINNINGS, I BROUGHT THE LETTER TO THE POLICE AND MY LAWYER JUST TO LET THEM KNOW THAT WE ARE KNOW RECEIVING FRAUD WINNING LETTERS IN CONNECTICUT FROM SOMEONE AS CLOSE AS Massachusetts. LOOKS LIKE A LIVE CHECK FOR OVER 2 THOUSANDS DOLLARS THAT THEY WANT YOU TO CASH AND PUT IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT SO YOU COULD PAY YOUR LAWYER AND THE STATE AND FEDERAL TAXES WHEN YOU GET YOUR WINNING CHECK. THE POLICE SAID THAT THEY EMPTY OUTYOUR BANK ACCOUNT WITH THE INFORMATION FROM THIS CHECK YOU HAVE JUST CASHED OR PUT IN YOUR ACCOUNT JUST BY THE DEPOSIT OR CASHED INFORMATION FROMYOUR BANK.

5. Lois Fletcher says:

I got a letter today saying I had won over three million and if I called a certain person, I would get the check. It was from Canada so it sounded fishy to me. I just tore it up as I don’t want to be caught up in a scam. Was this legit?

6. Christine Peters says:

i think it’s awful for anyone to be subjected to these scams. But get real people. NEVER give out your personal information or go buy prepaid cards to send to someone. Definite red flags.

1. Janice wedesky says:

I have received emails from Elizabeth Banks stating I have won 1,000,000.00. True or false? I have not responded.

7. Cindy Zuniga says:

I too was the target of a PCH scammer today. Someone pretending to be Danielle from PCH sent me a friend request for Facebook which I am already a friend of but I did accept and then the person told me that I won the million dollar prize plus $10,000 a week wired every Monday directly into my acct. This scammer wanted me to go buy a Money Pak Scratch Off card for $205.00 and then they would come to my house with my prize. I called the police but unfortunately the scammer wouldn’t take the bait and show him/her self. So sad that there are rotten people like this in the world

1. The same thing happened to me. I was asked to friend Todd Sloane (a scammer) that requested $259.99 on the same type of card. Didn’t and asked them to show up with credentials and ID….no show after that.

8. debbie says:

I just received a call from 1-876-853-4270. he said he was from pch. he told me I won a check and a new car. My instructions were to call 1-876-870-3937 and ask for agent Malone ext. 5. I didn’t call because I looked the number up and it was associated with a scam.

9. carol says:

I have received a phone call from 803-387-0977 which they said they were calling from Florida – I know that 803 in SC. I kept asking if they were PCH and they moved on to another question. Please check into this matter and reply to me.

1. Do not give out any information it happened to me also its a Scam they asked me to go and get a pre paid card with $300 balance they told me to load

10. John Spyksma says:

I have been getting these emails also. Is pchsearch&win a scam?