PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH

The name Publishers Clearing House is such a well recognized brand, welcomed and trusted in so many homes, that it is often illegally used by scam artists in an attempt to fraudulently con consumers for the sole purpose of soliciting cash.  PCH would like to remind you to BEWARE OF SCAMS posing as legitimate sweepstakes.  Scammers may email you or send you a letter ‘claiming’ to be from Publishers Clearing House.  Oftentimes, scammers may send out real-looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will ultimately ask you to send money in order to claim a non-existent prize.  If you receive such a contact, DO NOT send or wire money!  At Publishers Clearing House the winning is always FREE and it is never necessary to pay any money to enter or win our famous PCH Sweepstakes!

PCH has been actively attacking scams like these working with law enforcement and undertaking a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs.  From an educational standpoint we have posted alerts in our mail and on our website at pch.com.  We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines reminding all callers that if it is not free it is not a legitimate prize.  We ask consumers to provide us details of the scams and PCH keeps track of these reported incidents through a comprehensive anti-scam database.  Working closely with law enforcement and consumer protection groups, we continually share information with these valued partners in an effort to assist in targeting scammers and attempting to bring them to justice. Among others, PCH has worked closely with the Federal Trade Commission,  Postal Inspection Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the US Attorney’s Office.  We are also pleased to be a member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force that brings together leading industry, consumer protection and not-for-profit groups to brainstorm on efforts to target and reduce these scams.

PCH is pleased to add a new weapon in the fight against fraud by becoming a designated contributor to the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Sentinel Database Network.  Consumer Sentinel, maintained by the FTC, is a secure online database of consumer complaints available only to law enforcement.  Law enforcement officials from all around the country use the information in this national database to enhance and coordinate sweepstakes fraud investigations.  Publishers Clearing House is proud to be one of a select group of corporate entities that contributes to the FTC’s Consumer Sentinel Database!

Remember, if you receive a contact from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House, and you are asked to send or wire money to claim a prize, DO NOT!  If you believe you have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please report it using our Scam Incident Report.

At PCH we care about consumers and are committed to helping you stay safe, informed and protected!

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

502 thoughts on “PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH”

1. Mary Anne Greninger says:

This is the email I received. I copied it right from the email. There was an attachment but it was only a repeat of the email.

Publishers Clearing House Dec 3 at 3:46 PM
    To
    info@pchinfo.org
    Message body
    You have emerged email winner of 750,000.00 USD in the recent PCH Lottery.
    Kindly send your contacts to pchclaimsdepartmnt@foxmail.com

*Full Names
    *Residential Address
    *Telephone
    *Age

PCH Official Notification.
    Dave Higgins
    Claims Director

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Mary, the real PCH doesn’t notify our major prize winners via phone, standard mail, email, or social media, and we never ask for money to claim a prize. Please report any details you have about that scam call to us at this link: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. I also encourage you to check out these Safety Tips for some great info on what to watch for: http://bit.ly/PCH-Safety-Tips. Stay safe everyone!!

2. Mario Echeverria says:

Dear friends; thanks for including me in this match event. Please I need to claim my prize number for to validate my PCH process . It’s to much impportant for my to win my PCHGWY No. 6900 lifetime prize 10 K.per week. Thanks for your help and support. ME

3. LaVina Wells says:

Good Evening PCH Patrol, on Nov 20,2016 time11:03 I had received a text from a person Whitley91735(text) and said the PCH person had told her, that a he was from the state New York City and he was sending money to Bank of Amenica and said to send to PCH licence acct 483064150. the name Tommy can you play Alpha and Omega and government something other and he said he was a man of God and he won’t lie he’s not lying stop application on the day of election.

4. Pauline T Posey says:

I just got a message from Todd Stone regarding an unclaimed PRIZE still pending in the system and need to verify Iam the winner under Giveaway#6153,matching my 3 million dollars. and 7kweekly. Received this today with date APR .30,2016 @1101am

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Pauline, That is definitely a scammer who contacted you! PCH will never send friend requests, private messages, or winner notifications via Facebook; we also never ask for money to claim a prize. Do not give this person any personal information and certainly do not send them any money!! Instead, report them to PCH by completing a Scam Incident Report. Here’s how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. Check out this FAQ for info on how to stop scammers from contacting you on Facebook: http://bit.ly/StopFBScammers. Please be careful everyone; don’t become a scammer’s victim!

5. David Campbell says:

This is a email I received earlier today telling me I won 3 million dollars. It would be nice if this was real but I highly doubt it is. Lol.

Congratulation You are an Email Winner of 3,000,000.00 USD in the recent PCH
    Lottery 2016 Draw.
    Kindly send your contacts to pchclaimsoffice16@foxmail.com

*Full Names
    *Residential Address
    *Telephone
    *Sex
    *Age

PCH Official Notification.
    Morris Phillips.

6. Virginia Cravey says:

I received a phone call from a man stating he was from PCH and stated I had won a GMC Denali and ten million dollars. I was to receive one million a year. In return I’m to send $599.00 for taxes on the truck. He stated to go get a credit card from the store. Then I told him I didn’t have that much. He changes it to $499.00. He gave the name of Ray Walker and his ID#0816237 and a check#0812996007. He questioned if I shopped at Heb, Brookshire Bros., Market Basket, Dollar Stores, and WalMart. He said that is how he got my phone number. Gave me an ID#4768.
    BEWARE PEOPLE! I called PCH and they never do this! They come in person to your home to give any awards or prizes. They never ask you for any money! It’s FREE!
    Never give out your personal information! Don’t fall for the scam!