PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH

The name Publishers Clearing House is such a well recognized brand, welcomed and trusted in so many homes, that it is often illegally used by scam artists in an attempt to fraudulently con consumers for the sole purpose of soliciting cash.  PCH would like to remind you to BEWARE OF SCAMS posing as legitimate sweepstakes.  Scammers may email you or send you a letter ‘claiming’ to be from Publishers Clearing House.  Oftentimes, scammers may send out real-looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will ultimately ask you to send money in order to claim a non-existent prize.  If you receive such a contact, DO NOT send or wire money!  At Publishers Clearing House the winning is always FREE and it is never necessary to pay any money to enter or win our famous PCH Sweepstakes!

PCH has been actively attacking scams like these working with law enforcement and undertaking a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs.  From an educational standpoint we have posted alerts in our mail and on our website at pch.com.  We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines reminding all callers that if it is not free it is not a legitimate prize.  We ask consumers to provide us details of the scams and PCH keeps track of these reported incidents through a comprehensive anti-scam database.  Working closely with law enforcement and consumer protection groups, we continually share information with these valued partners in an effort to assist in targeting scammers and attempting to bring them to justice. Among others, PCH has worked closely with the Federal Trade Commission,  Postal Inspection Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the US Attorney’s Office.  We are also pleased to be a member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force that brings together leading industry, consumer protection and not-for-profit groups to brainstorm on efforts to target and reduce these scams.

PCH is pleased to add a new weapon in the fight against fraud by becoming a designated contributor to the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Sentinel Database Network.  Consumer Sentinel, maintained by the FTC, is a secure online database of consumer complaints available only to law enforcement.  Law enforcement officials from all around the country use the information in this national database to enhance and coordinate sweepstakes fraud investigations.  Publishers Clearing House is proud to be one of a select group of corporate entities that contributes to the FTC’s Consumer Sentinel Database!

Remember, if you receive a contact from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House, and you are asked to send or wire money to claim a prize, DO NOT!  If you believe you have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please contact us at 1-800-392-4190.  Or, if you receive a suspicious email fraudulently claiming to be from PCH, PCHLotto or PCHSearch&Win, please forward it to our fraud reporting mailbox, abuse@pch.com.

At PCH we care about consumers and are committed to helping you stay safe, informed and protected!

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

370 thoughts on “PCH CONSUMER AFFAIRS ALERT: BEWARE OF SCAMS PRETENDING TO BE PCH”

1. Denzel Johnson says:

So I’m playing this pch play & win app and I won 3 times (1st $5,000 2nd $500 3rd $10,000) and every time the game froze up and I tried going back and it wasn’t there nor can I go back to the card I was on I’m so passed and sad I needed that money

1. Denzel Johnson says:

It was $5000 a week for life

1. O yes I almore Get caught up in that

2. Adrian Norris says:

1-876-853-4270, Add this number to the list of scammers. My grandparents received a call saying they had won a Mercedes Benz and $950,000. Said all that they would have to do is pay $950 in taxes and that the American government would pay the rest of the taxes for them. Kept asking for their address and whether they were married, if they were going to be home today, etc. I think these people should be caught anf stopped. My grandparents have entered the PCH sweepstakes almost every day and it’s horrible that people would use that to trick people out of money.

3. Eddie Gourley says:

We have just received a notice that we have won 1 Million Dollars with the ID # FWCS- 8035398586, with the check to be delivered by DTDC courier service. Is this a SCAM or not?? eD

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Eddie! That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never contacts winners in advance — The only way you would know if you won is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

4. Dustin Mason says:

Was just contacted by a Paul Grant supposedly from PCH saying I wan 5.5 millionand a Mercedes Benz wanting me to send money through Western Union to “NormaScottStJamesJamaicawi” number was 876 -778 – 6651 it is a Jamaica phone number he also gave me a personal number 415 – 251-8446……contacted pch scam line ITS A SCAM

5. bridgettsykes1 says:

Is pch just for entertainment purposes.

6. Leyla says:

I’ve already received three envelopes and the last one says final step required and I got several papers inside with the envelope I don’t really understand is it a scam

1. Leyla says:

And the last one was brown with big red letters saying final step required
      And as well for the first one was brown

7. Carla Kernaghan says:

I truly have been crying
    Someone posing as Danielle Lam
    Stating that I won
    Supervisor posing to give 199.00 approval
    It is horrible
    I really don’t know how to report this
    Headquarters are closed
    Now they want stop messaging and calling
    I’m no way to give in til I speak with someone
    Directly from the office of PCH

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Carla,

Sadly, there are scammers out there who impersonate PCH employees to get our fans’ personal information and money. PCH never contacts winners in advance and you never have to pay to claim a PCH prize! Please familiarize yourself with these tips on how to identify and avoid the real scammers out there (http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_) and always report all scammer encounters to abuse@pch.com immediately.

8. Penny Hart says:

I would like to talk to someone about a email I got about $1 Million Dollars

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Penny!

We want to thank you for being a PCH fan and inform you that it was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never contacts winners in advance and you never have to pay to claim a PCH prize! The only way you would know if you won is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

9. m mann says:

Recieved a letter requesting 12.99 for tax purpose and to register my number

10. Rachel says:

Yeah I had a guy pretending to be Todd Sloan requests me on Facebook and then sent me a message to call this number I called him back after I looked on the blog for scams and called the 1800bnumber listed and they told me it was scam we’ll he called me back he wanted my name and phone number and address told him he shoulve be ashamed of himself end told him how I pray everyday to win so I can help my grandmother keep our house so we don’t end up on the street and that I hoped God would open his heart and realize how cruel it was and he left me message saying he was the fake pretender and he was sorry