PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud

It’s National Consumer Protection Week – 2010

In continuing recognition of National Consumer Protection Week, Publishers Clearing House would like to remind you to BEWARE of scams posing as legitimate sweepstakes that ask you to send money. Remember, in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes the winning is always FREE!

Some scam artists may send out real looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. DO NOT fall for these Fake Check Scams. You may receive an official looking letter that includes what appears to be a real looking check. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will tell you to wire back a portion of the check. Whatever the set-up, the results are always the same. If you send money back you’ll be out twice. YOU will owe the bank the money you withdrew and the scammer will have the money you sent in his/her pocket!

At PCH we have been attacking scams like these with a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs. From an educational standpoint we have posted consumer alerts on our website at pch.com and in our mail. We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines, and ask consumers to provide us details of the scams so we can share information with law enforcement officials including the Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General. In many instances we can move quickly after receiving complaints to have phone numbers supporting these scams immediately shut down. PCH is also a proud member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force, where both private and regulatory members meet regularly to share efforts to combat these ongoing scams. We continue to partner with law enforcement officials including the FBI, Postal Inspections Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and US Attorney’s Office to develop new efforts to target the scammers and bring them to justice.

Be smart. Be safe. Be protected. If you or someone you know believes they have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please contact Publishers Clearing House at 1-800-645-9242. Anyone who believes they have received a suspicious email using the Publishers Clearing House (or PCHLotto.com) name and logo, may forward it to our fraud reporting mailbox, abuse@pch.com.

M Crossan PCH

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

319 thoughts on “PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud”

1. José F Fuentes says:

Monica Vega ” ” is trying to charge me. She’s stating that she works for the pch and for me to pay her money to get the pch prize . She contacted me through Facebook. ..

2. Karl says:

Hi! I just got an email saying that I had won. They asked that I email all of my contact information including next of kin to Marcus Steve at pch_inquiry@qq.com. I’ve always played for years and am just not sure if this is for real or how you would even contact a winner if they were to win.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Karl – That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never contacts winners in advance and you never have to pay to claim a PCH prize! The only way you would know if you won is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

1. Lehman Waisvisz says:

I sent a copy of that scammer email to you. I got the same thing

3. Robin K says:

I received this email today. Is this a scam? I deleted the characters where there are now asterisks.

Publishers Clearing House
    PCH WINNING NOTIFICATION 2015!

This is to inform you that your email has won you a prize of $1,000,000.00 * (ONE MILLION US DOLLARS) from this Year Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Sweepstakes.

To claim your prize, please contact your Fiduciary agent Mr. Marcus Steve on email address (msteve_pchinquiry@qq.com) with your Batch#: ********, Ticket#: **********, Serial#: ****************, Ref#: *****************

Contact him via email immediately within 24hrs with the following details below.

1. Full Name:
    2. Country:
    3. Contact Address:
    4. Telephone/Mobile Number:
    5. Next of Kin:
    6. Age:
    7. Email address:

Your claims contact and information should be sent to Direct Contact Email: msteve_pchinquiry@qq.com

Regards,
    The Publishers Clearing House (PCH)

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Robin! That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never contacts winners in advance and you never have to pay to claim a PCH prize! The only way you would know if you won is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

4. Richard H Frey Sr says:

I received a call from a person who was obviously a man with a foreign accent claiming to be Mary Smith. The number listed on caller ID was 757-769-7127. He said that we had won the big prize, 5 million and a Mercedes auto and all we had to do was give them a “delivery fee” of just under 200 dollars. He arranged to deliver the cashiers check the next day at 11 AM. I asked for verification and he gave me 1-800-392-4190 and said to call and verify authenticity. The person answering sounded suspiciously like the same person, same accent. He, of course verified that Mary Smith was correct, we had won the PCH super prize. I have previously looked up PCH scams on the internet and knew that this was bogus. I have printed the scam page from the internet and will hand it to the phony delivery person when they arrive. I wish there was some way to have a law enforcement representative waiting for them, but realize that this is not reasonable.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Richard! We’re so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer. You never have to pay to claim a PCH prize and we will never call your phone! Please be careful and be aware of scammers online by familiarizing yourself with our “Fraud Protection” page (http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_) and always report scammer encounters to abuse@pch.com.

5. Amy Velez says:

My name is Amy and I was contacted on facebook by a man named Engstler Manfred who stated that I won the PCH lottery for 2015 and I had won $350,000 and just needed to give him my name and address email phone number and occupation and all of this was on a facebook instant message. When I asked him for proof of my wining he gave me a number (920) 753-8043 and said I could call or text for my proof of wininig. That rose suspension to me since businesses dont text. When I told him I would call claims on Monday he said give me 2 hours and I will prove it to you then he sent me pictures of what he said were this years previos winners. However when I looked at google I found the same pictures under 2014 winners. I have not contacted him any further about this just wanted every one to know this is a scam and be aware of who you have on your facebook. I have also contacted facebook about this situation.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Amy!

That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never sends private messages on Facebook. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_ Thank you for posting this warning for everyone and I’m so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer.

6. Pam Williams says:

I received a friend request from a person stating she was Danielle Lam on Saturday, July 11th. She then stated that I had won $10,000.00 from Publishers Clearing House and her associate would contact me by phone to give me the details. He wanted all my information, credit card #s, bank accounts, etc. When I asked for a phone number for PCH so I could confirm this was true, he gave me 979-318-5084, which is a Texas number. No one will answer this number when called. These people are still trying to contact me.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Pam!

That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH will never call your phone. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_