PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud

It’s National Consumer Protection Week – 2010

In continuing recognition of National Consumer Protection Week, Publishers Clearing House would like to remind you to BEWARE of scams posing as legitimate sweepstakes that ask you to send money. Remember, in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes the winning is always FREE!

Some scam artists may send out real looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. DO NOT fall for these Fake Check Scams. You may receive an official looking letter that includes what appears to be a real looking check. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will tell you to wire back a portion of the check. Whatever the set-up, the results are always the same. If you send money back you’ll be out twice. YOU will owe the bank the money you withdrew and the scammer will have the money you sent in his/her pocket!

At PCH we have been attacking scams like these with a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs. From an educational standpoint we have posted consumer alerts on our website at pch.com and in our mail. We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines, and ask consumers to provide us details of the scams so we can share information with law enforcement officials including the Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General. In many instances we can move quickly after receiving complaints to have phone numbers supporting these scams immediately shut down. PCH is also a proud member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force, where both private and regulatory members meet regularly to share efforts to combat these ongoing scams. We continue to partner with law enforcement officials including the FBI, Postal Inspections Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and US Attorney’s Office to develop new efforts to target the scammers and bring them to justice.

Be smart. Be safe. Be protected. If you or someone you know believes they have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please fill out a Scam Incident Report.

M Crossan PCH

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

372 thoughts on “PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud”

1. Neil Hauser says:

Recieved a phone call from a person claiming to be a Rep with PCH saying I won big. said his name was David Anderson gave me a phone number of 1-876-447-3119. he did not speak english very well so I just listened for a couple min.

2. Herbert Holmes says:

At 7:30 tonight I received phone call from a person claiming that they are from PCH. The # came up as1-876-321-3489 from Jamaica. I did not accept this as PCH.

3. Andrea Goodlin says:

I just got scammed guy named James Walters on Facebook saying I won and he was real lol not…

4. I received a friend request on Facebook from Danielle Lam pchteam, well they don’t call to inform you of being a winner and they don’t ask for money, and they sure don’t ask to be friends on Facebook. .. scammers need to be scammed, that way they can see how it feels to be on the other end. SHAME ON YOU

5. Fight scams who claim to be real no purchase necessary to enter or win.

6. Cindy jorgenson says:

I don’t know how to forward everything from Facebook and text messaging over here plz call me 605-391-7648

7. Jana Lucas says:

Yesterday I received an IM on FB yesterday persumabably from Danielle letting me know I had won the big prize. Seemed legit, congratulated me, presented P14 government forms to be completed. The site the conversation came from linked back to a PCH FB site that appeared legit.I got really excited, but the message disappeared. That seemed odd so I looked up how pch winners are notified and this was one of those ways. I reported the event to Abuse@pch.com. Today I received a call from a man with an ascent claiming to be Dave Sawyer. He allowed me to call him back in Tennessee at 865 245-2378. Things still didn’t seem right. I allowed him yo go into his spill, he wanted me to go back on line with “Danielle” and complete my tax paperwork. I assured this man that legit sweepstakes, such as PCH does NOT ask fgor taxes up frtont, and neither does Uncle Sam. I hung up…SCAM. BEWARE. I have to admit for the ten minutes I actually thoughht I had won, It was FUN.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hi Jana, thank you so much for the warning! You’re right! The real Prize Patrol never sends friend requests, winner notifications, or private messages on Social Media, and you never need to pay to claim a PCH prize. The ONLY way you would know if you won a major prize is by the Prize Patrol showing up at your door, and we do not contact winners in advance! Do not give the scammers ANY of your personal information or any money! Check out this blog to find out how to prevent them from contacting you: http://bit.ly/StopFBScammers. Please report any and all scams to us by completing a scam incident report. Click this link to find out how: http://bit.ly/Report-Scam-To-PCH. Stay safe PCH Fan’s!

8. Stanley chappell says:

They called last week and said I won, but the prize patrol could not come until I bought a 199.00 money gram. They called again today on Friday , the first of July I told him you are not telling the truth don’t call agains

9. I have no money at all to pay my internet should be shut off tomorrow and no money to geticrosoft office. Don’t know what to do I have no gas and about out of food.