PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud

It’s National Consumer Protection Week – 2010

In continuing recognition of National Consumer Protection Week, Publishers Clearing House would like to remind you to BEWARE of scams posing as legitimate sweepstakes that ask you to send money. Remember, in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes the winning is always FREE!

Some scam artists may send out real looking checks in an attempt to get you to send money. DO NOT fall for these Fake Check Scams. You may receive an official looking letter that includes what appears to be a real looking check. Using a variety of false promises, the scammers will tell you to wire back a portion of the check. Whatever the set-up, the results are always the same. If you send money back you’ll be out twice. YOU will owe the bank the money you withdrew and the scammer will have the money you sent in his/her pocket!

At PCH we have been attacking scams like these with a number of comprehensive consumer protection programs. From an educational standpoint we have posted consumer alerts on our website at pch.com and in our mail. We have recorded anti-scam messages on our toll-free customer service lines, and ask consumers to provide us details of the scams so we can share information with law enforcement officials including the Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General. In many instances we can move quickly after receiving complaints to have phone numbers supporting these scams immediately shut down. PCH is also a proud member of the Consumer Federation of America’s Fake Check Task Force, where both private and regulatory members meet regularly to share efforts to combat these ongoing scams. We continue to partner with law enforcement officials including the FBI, Postal Inspections Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and US Attorney’s Office to develop new efforts to target the scammers and bring them to justice.

Be smart. Be safe. Be protected. If you or someone you know believes they have been the victim of a fraudulent contact using the name of Publishers Clearing House, please contact Publishers Clearing House at 1-800-645-9242. Anyone who believes they have received a suspicious email using the Publishers Clearing House (or PCHLotto.com) name and logo, may forward it to our fraud reporting mailbox, abuse@pch.com.

M Crossan PCH

Sincerely,

Margaret Crossan

PCH Consumer Affairs Department

285 thoughts on “PCH Shares Scam Reports With FTC to Fight Fraud”

1. George Saufley says:

Keep getting emails from PCH that I needed to go online and register or I would loose my spouse’s grand prize. I went on line to satisfy her- i don’t play What I saw I did saw a lot of stuff that they were promoting and while I was online with PCH I got malware installed called “deal play” on my computer there was so much advertisement on my screen that I couldn’t navigate the web the advertisement followed my mouse couldn’t search the web. My Norton programs couldn’t fix it only damaged it farther. Will need to take it to a computer repair shop and it will cost $00.00+ to fix. Seems unethical to cause tension between partners. Free isn’t free.

2. sarah woods says:

I received an email from “cmlpch567@outlook.com” saying I had won a thousand dollars from PCH simply needed name, email address sent. Is this a real fraud. Please reply at your convience.

3. I also hot a phone call from Dave Sayers saying that I have to pay state taxes of 500.00 dollars before March 3rd.they had all my personal information. What do I do now

4. February 18th, I got a message from Danielle Lam saying that I won on pchsearch&win

5. Catalog Favorites is charging me monthly (like some type of club) because I bought from them last June. They have charged me $45-$15 a month.

6. Richard Hensley says:

I just got thru returning a voice mail to 909-509-4312 to a guy claiming to be Todd Sloane from PCH. He said that I was a selected winner via shopping at a department store or pharmacy and that there is an unclaimed prize in my name. He said he would call me back, which he did on a unidentified number. Luckily I had already done my research on PCH scams. This guy told me I had won a big prize of 3.5 million and two tickets for an Island vacation. I told him sure I want the prize as long as I do not have to fork out any money or personal info. He said the only thing I would have to pay for is an IRS insurance policy before receiving my prize. I explained that the PCH website says that no money will be required to claim the prize. He said it is not PCH but that it is the IRS that requires the insurance policy. After going back and forth I told him that I am declining the prize. He said “are you sure you do not want this great prize” I said, sure I would love to have this prize, but the only way I will except it is if you come to my house to present it to me. He then said “I will have to speak with my supervisor and I will get back with you” I do not think he will be calling back.

I knew it was a scam all along. I am glad I had done my research on the PCH web site.

7. Bruce says:

I also was told that I won 3 million dollars from publishers sweepstakes I was asked for my name and address and phone number and to send it to Todd Sloan I no it’s a scam the Sweepstakes does not operate like that and they already no my name and have that information don’t be scamed by these people

8. Grace Prodigalidad says:

I got a letter from Novation Capital saying I had won a PCH prize of 3.5 million and I should call Emmanuel Chung 587-703-6455 to discuss how to activate my check. I thought you should know about this scam.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Grace,
      That is definitely a scam. Please report it to our fraud hotline: : 1-800-392-4190.

1. Marty says:

My mother in-law was told she won PCH sweepstake and it was stolen. She has been contacted by “agent Peterson” at the FBI and they are in the process of getting her the winnings. He saved her from going to jail because he knows she was not involved. She keeps calling him at a number out of the Bahamas on a cell phone I provide her. I have repeatedly told her it is a scam, she won’t listen. They deposited $20 into her checking account twice for her to eat dinner. She insists this is legitimate. She has never met him in person even though supposedly he goes to same church and lives in her town. She doesn’t remember his first name and says the Bahama phone number is because he travels a lot. How can I get thru to her?

9. Crystal Scheef says:

I was almost scammed by someone claiming to be Danielle Lam on Facebook today. She said that I had won the Big Prize and that I needed to get a
    Vanilla Reload Scratch Network card for $375. Then the Prize Patrol would be at my house with flowers and champagne. The person got mad when I told them to stop pretending to be Danielle. I did not send money and have not heard anything else from them. The Facebook request came from Danielle Lampch. Beware of this request.

10. Kori Mueller says:

I was contacted on Facebook by a person claiming to be Dave Sayers manager at PCH. I was told I won 4.4 million and new Toyota and $5000 a week. I was then asked if I had a credit card but I did not give any info for it. I was then asked if I had a checking account so they could prove to me that it’s legit by depositing $299.99 in my account again I did not give them the info. I was then asked to pay the 1% tax of $199.99 by getting a green dot or vanilla visa at Walmart. He is to contact me if I gave him my contact info today to finish up business. I have the whole message in messenger on Facebook.