Beware PCH Scams Like The Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Card Scam!

Hi blog readers! When we talk about scams and frauds, we often tell consumers to be wary of anyone who asks you to pay to claim a prize. That is one of the biggest red flags when it comes to identifying a scam. Remember: with Publishers Clearing House, and any legal sweepstakes, you NEVER have to pay any amount for any reason to claim a prize.

Well today we want to warn you about a new kind of PCH Scams involving prepaid cards. You see, some scammers are no longer directly asking victims for money for a fake prize – but they are still trying to get their hands on your hard-earned cash. Pre-paid card scams are being used more and more frequently to swipe victim’s money. And it all happens very quickly. Fortunately though, we’ve heard a lot about how these PCH scams work and can share that information with you to help you keep safe!

It often works like this: someone claiming to be a PCH representative contacts you and informs you that you’ve won a big PCH prize. But in order to claim that prize, you must go out to Walmart or a convenience store to purchase a prepaid card. You’re instructed to put a certain amount of money on the card and then provide the card number to the “reps.” Once these fraudsters have the card number, they’ll wipe the card clean of the money on it and disappear. You’ll never see your alleged prize OR the money spent on the card again. Yikes!

This scam has even spread to Facebook where imposters who are pretending to be the Prize Patrol are trying to trick fans like you into sending money! Take a look at the screenshot below from an imposter Dave Sayer on Facebook.

Blog readers, DO NOT FALL FOR THESE PCH SCAMS! Green Dot Money Pak is NOT associated with Publishers Clearing House in any way. So if you hear that name or receive a friend request from someone claiming to be a PCH Prize Patrol member who has pictures of the Green Dot card on his or her page and are telling you to send money, it’s definitely a SCAM! Remember that PCH would NEVER ask a winner to provide us with any money before claiming the prize. We’re giving the money to you, not the other way around!

So be alert, be vigilant, and be aware of the signs. And as always, if you’re ever in doubt, let us know! We’ll be happy to help.

Laura Wolfe @PCH

P.S. Remember, the only official PCH Prize Patrol pages are Danielle Lam PCH Prize Patrol, Dave Sayer PCH Prize Patrol and Todd Sloane PCH Prize Patrol!

117 thoughts on “Beware PCH Scams Like The Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Card Scam!”

1. Laura says:

They called me told me I won and had me going until they told me I need to go too Walmart or Wall greens or some other stores that is close by and get a green card and put on the card 299. I told the guy who said he was Todd I don’t have the money he goes how do you pay your bills I told him it’s hard but I’m doing the best I can.Then he text me and said I’m no loner a member of the PCH

1. Mandi Darden says:

They just called me and tried. I didn’t fall for it though

2. Miss. GG says:

Well, they got me for sure!

3. Joseph Serna says:

They almost got me I was on the phone with them when I looked at this and he was all my company’s mega millions then I called back and he answered as cleaners clearing house

4. sue says:

is there anyway to get your money back?..they just got me today i feel so stupid.

5. Gitta says:

My sister got a call from Someone named Frank Jones CEO of PCH..He told her to make sure she is home today, cause he’s coming to her town with her winning check..He told her to call back a number to verify that she is home..She called, he then said they are three hours away, that they will arrive tomorrow..They said they will go to her work instead of her home..I told her to call the police when they get there…

6. Cheryl says:

I just got a phone call today from “Joseph Kennedy” about winning second prize. Wanted me to go to Walgreens or Seven-11 to get an “IRS Claimers Card”. He even went so far as to give me a “PCH Claim Code. I googled this as we were talking and found this information-wouldn’t have paid for a card no matter what. He wanted me to call Frank Jones CEO at 518-557-5057 ext 5 to claim the money. HAHA. Hope this helps someone else being scammed.

7. Phyllis Wilson says:

Got me today for $200

1. Jill says:

Phyllis what was the recipients name, I want to know if its the same con man too.

1. Sarah maynor says:

He said it was Todd Sloan

2. Jill says:

Was that the recipient name of the transfer?

3. Phyllis Wilson says:

Todd Sloan

8. Sarah Maynor says:

To late for me I already fell for that one hopefully the police will be able to trace the number they gave me

9. Andrew Schiley says:

Just got this one today! Iritating!

10. Eve-Marie says:

Watch out also for calls that say you did not pay your electric bill and it will be cut off if you do not pay in few hours. And they tell you to get a green a card to pay right away. They call my sister beauty salon telling her they will cut her electricity if she does not pay in two hours, She called her husband who was at work and busy to finish a project. He did not have time to think and did what they ask him to do. He paid them $500.00. Then when he found time, he called the electricity company and found out it was all scam.