Don’t Fall For The Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Card Scam!

GreenDotMoneyPak

One of the most important things we do on the PCH blog is warn our friends about Publishers Clearing House scams! Unfortunately, PCH scams involving Green Dot MoneyPak prepaid cards are on the rise. Fraudsters have been attempting to use Green Dot MoneyPak prepaid cards to steal hard-earned money from innocent people, like you. Read on and discover how to protect yourself from being a victim of fraud!

In case you’re not familiar with them, Green Dot MoneyPak cards are prepaid cards that can be purchased at convenience stores and used in place of a credit card. Since they’re prepaid, if a scammer gets the code located under the scratch-off strip on the reverse side of the card, they can claim the money from the card very quickly.  And once it’s gone, it’s gone forever.

MoneyPak Back

Scam scenarios involving these cards might unfold in a variety of ways, but the gist is that scammers tell their victims that they have won the PCH sweepstakes, but they need to first pay a special “insurance” or “tax” by purchasing a Green Dot MoneyPak prepaid card for a specific amount of money and providing the number located under the scratch-off strip on the back of the card over the phone. However, these scammers are NOT from PCH and have NO intention of awarding any prizes.

Can YOU Spot A Scam?

Scenario # 1:  You’ve just received an official-looking letter that states that you’ve won $1 Million and a new car from PCH. When you call the number on the letter, you’re asked to purchase two Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Cards for $500 each, scratch off the back and provide the number over the phone. The “representative” on the phone explains that it’s just “insurance” for prize delivery.

SCAM!  If this happens to you, DON’T purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak card and DON’T give the scammer any personal information — even if he sounds sincere! Publishers Clearing House SuperPrizes are personally delivered by the Prize Patrol. Plus, you never, ever have to pay any amount of money to win a PCH prize — it’s the law!

Scenario #2:  You receive a friend request on Facebook from someone who claims to be Dave Sayer of the PCH Prize Patrol. Later, you get a private message that states you’ve won $500,000 from PCH. You’re requested to purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak card in the amount of $500 and message him back the number located under the scratch-off strip on the back of the card to cover “taxes” on the prize.

SCAM!   No one affiliated with the PCH Prize Patrol will ever send you a friend request over Facebook.  If this happens to you, don’t accept the request or provide any personal information. You can even follow Danielle Lam’s steps to report a Publishers Clearing House scam on Facebook.

Remember friends, don’t fall for the Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Card scam!  As always, if you receive a letter, a telephone call, an email or a social media “friend” request from someone claiming to be from the real PCH and you’re asked to pay a “fee” of any type to claim your prize…STOP!  It’s a SCAM!

All the best,

Elaina R.
PCH Online Creative

Other blogs you may like:
How To Report Publishers Clearing House Scams on Facebook
A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Scam

226 thoughts on “Don’t Fall For The Green Dot MoneyPak Prepaid Card Scam!”

1. conniekendall says:

They told me I won now I can’t get it til I pay 299.88 399.99 and 189.99 I got even thing they send me

2. David says:

I’ve gotten calls and messages on my facebook page from this guy ToddSloanePCH telling me this. You were randomly selected to receive $1,000,000.00 and also $10,000,00 in which you will receive every month for life, On behalf of the Publisher clearing house we all would like to say a big CONGRATULATIONS to you for winning the PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE sweepstakes 2014 !! !!!! This is a picture of your winning Certificate !!!All yours!!!! Please note we will need a claiming card to have everything start out. Green dot money pak scratch card) and when you purchase this card for the exact $499.99 dollars you are going to come home back then I will tell you what to do Okay

3. There is this guy who pretends to a pch prize patrol who says I won 10,000,000 and 10,000 for several months he keeps calling asking me how I’m doing everyday he calls
    from a private number he asked for me to buy a a green dot card and marked a payment of 199.99 on the card he says it is a process fee for the sweepstakes clearing published

4. Ellen says:

Thank you for this blog! I just got a call from 876-354-9230 and said I won 2.5 million and a car through an associated company of Publishers Clearing House, which I do participate in, so I listen to a robotic sounding man for a long time, trying to figure out how this was a scam or in fact “was blessed by God” to have won such a “gift” as he suggested….

He had lots of numbers that I had to write down and told me that taxes would be taken out…. really sounded pretty good because I never had to give out any of my info… took the number and he had me call him back to make sure “he was for real.” I did call back, which I hope wasn’t a mistake… but thought it was real until he said something about these green scratch-back cards that I could buy anywhere basically.

I personally have never heard of them but I am glad I googled right, because here I am thanking you for saving me $392!!!! But I am ready to win your prize anytime!!! LOL!!! :) Peace and Joy!!!

1. Ellen says:

Oh yeah… he said his name was John Cooper.

5. Dannielle lam friend request me told me to but a green dot scratch off card and give her. The code off the back for 199.99 I know this is a scam she said I won 1.5 million.dolllars please tell me she did not scam me

6. Lil Golden says:

I have one that keeps calling me, he wants me to get a card with 200 and give him the number, I told him I knew he was a crook and to stop calling me, he called 15 times 2 days ago 20 times yesterday and today 15 times so far. how do you get them to stop calling?

7. Not easily scammed says:

I just received a call from a from “Tom Baxter” – he didn’t even know how to spell his last name. He said he was looking for me while driving around on a FedEx truck because “Arthur Jones” left me $985,000 after his death. He asked me to go to the nearest CVS and purchase 2 cards and add $495 to each. After doing that I need to call him to give him the numbers on the back of the card so he could release the money to me. Not going to happen!! I really hate knowing the fact that so many innocent people fall for this scam. They give you the phone number to call them back so you can feel a little more comfortable with the lies. The number is 876-395-5924.

1. Joshua Law says:

Just got a scam phone call from (876) 539-7497. Wanted me to buy a green.card from Walgreen’s.. Said his name was James Washington.. I wish I won 250,000,000! Fmf