Beware of Publishers Clearing House Scams!

Hello, Friends and Fans,

04_01_stop_scam

We at Publishers Clearing House want to bring all of you a very important message today – one that we cannot emphasize strongly enough. Please be aware that there are scammers out there claiming they represent Publishers Clearing House. Unfortunately, these scams are especially prevalent right now – when the real PCH is about to award one lucky individual a life-changing SuperPrize.

As much as we try to warn unsuspecting individuals about the difference between the real Publishers Clearing House Sweeps and an illegitimate scam, we too often learn about good, honest folks like you going through some unfortunate experiences. That is why we would like to alert you to 4 important warning signs to be aware of to help you spot the scammers and their deceitful tricks.

How to Spot Publishers Clearing House Scam

payme1. If someone contacts you claiming to be from PCH, and tells you that you’ve won a prize award – then asks you to send a payment or money card in order to claim the prize – STOP!  You have not heard from the real PCH. IT’S A SCAM! At Publishers Clearing House the winning is always free and you NEVER have to pay to claim a prize award.

email2. If you receive an email notifying you that you have won a major prize in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, DON’T BE FOOLED: IT’S A SCAM! Publishers Clearing House does NOT send e-mails notifying consumers that they have won a major prize. If you win a major prize in our sweepstakes (like our February 28th SuperPrize), you’ll know when the Prize Patrol shows up at your door with the Big Check.

2_25_Phone Scam3. If you receive a phone call from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House and are asked to send money, pay a fee or pre-pay taxes to enter, collect or claim a sweepstakes prize, DON’T BE FOOLED: IT’S A SCAM!  You have not heard from the “real” Publishers Clearing House. The call you received was most likely from a fraudulent sweepstakes scam operation. Again, at Publishers Clearing House the winning is always free.

friendrequest4. If someone from Publishers Clearing House sends you a friend request on Facebook, DON’T BE FOOLED: IT’S A SCAM!  The Prize Patrol will NEVER send friend requests to you on Facebook. Moreover, the PCH Prize Patrol members (Danielle Lam, Dave Sayer, and Todd Sloane) never send private messages on Facebook. In addition, PCH does not notify its winners through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media website.

These are the ONLY legitimate Prize Patrol pages on Facebook:

Danielle Lam PCH Prize Patrol
Dave Sayer PCH Prize Patrol
Todd Sloane PCH Prize Patrol

For more PCH Facebook scam prevention tips, please watch this video from Prize Patrol member Danielle Lam.

If you feel you have been the victim of a Publishers Clearing House Scam, please contact us at our toll-free number 1-800-392-4190. Anyone who believes they have received a suspicious email using our name and logo may forward it to our fraud-reporting mailbox, abuse@pch.com.

And don’t be embarrassed to report anything suspicious – the scammers have even tried to fool our own employees!

As always, you should always verify the information in any winner notification you may receive before making any risky moves. And if you ever have any questions, let us know! We’re more than happy to help!

Stay safe everyone, and good luck on February 28th, when we announce our next SuperPrize winner!

Debbie K.
PCH Creative

Other blogs you may like:
A Personal Example of a Publishers Clearing House Scam

Publishers Clearing House Scam Prevention Tips from Danielle Lam

314 thoughts on “Beware of Publishers Clearing House Scams!”

1. leon brownlee says:

Call from John Anderson from phone number 876-279-5260. I won a prize and he only needed 10 % to deliver the prize.

2. Winona Baldridge says:

I received a call today from (876-394-8467), and they said they were from PCH. He told me that his name was Willie in Washington, and that I was second runner up. gave me a code and told me to call 866-996-5997 and that would redgister me and then I must take a photo ID and go to a Western Union and proceed to give money for taxes and such. I told him he was not the real prize patrol, because if he were I would be looking at him and he would have a big check. Then I hung up! I have been playing PCH sweepstakes since 1973. Now if I were to be a winner in August 31st sweepstakes that would be grand, and I would be face to face with the prize patrol. Maybe one day my dream will come true.

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Winona! Thank you for posting this warning for everyone! We’re so sorry to hear about your encounter with a scammer. As you know, PCH will never ask you to pay to claim a PCH prize and we never contact winners in advance. Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_.

3. Colleen says:

I just got a call from Jamaica phone#, she said I won $950,000 from PCH! I told her to “knock on my door” and have balloons and check in hand. She said it wasn’t a joke! I hung up. Jamaica phone #876-438-7756 (2)

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Colleen – That was definitely a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH will never call your phone. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_

4. Tina Stewart says:

My Daughter-in-law received a call today and the caller said that she had won a prize, then proceeded to ask for money to be sent to pay fees. This person was supposed to be PCH and I told her it was a SCAM, PCH does not ask for money up front!

Please be aware of this Scam!!!!!!!

5. Aggie Shaw says:

I received a letter that had been forwarded from my mom’s place because she has passed away. It said she was the 2nd place winner of the Publishers Clearing house sweepstakes. Also inclosed was a check for $7,847.10 upon reading the letter that was enclose it said the check was to cover insurance and attorney fees. The letter gave 2 phone numbers to call and then a code under them and said you had to give the code to them over the phone when you called. I work for a news paper and the day before we had ran an article about the scam so I knew what it was but a lot of people would have taken the check to the bank. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the newest scam that is out.

6. I have been playing your sweepstakes faithfully and spending a lot of money on orders and postage. Every correspondence I get says this is the Last chance to enter. I cannot afford to pay this game anymore and I never see the winners. I am a widow on a fixed income and can no longer play for the “Dream”.

7. Sherry McCrea says:

i recevied a text message from a person Danie Lam.. 559-500-6112 . She said she was with Publishers Clearing house and I had won 1 Milion Dollars.. she even sent me a photo of Danielle with the check above her head showing me this.. I only needed $700 to pay the taxes in advance and it would be allocated back to me in 45 mins when the patent was received.. and they would take me to the bank with the big check.. today her photo of Danielle is not on her instant messageing i guess she got the idea i was not going to give her money in advance..

1. PCH Staff PCH Staff says:

Hello Sherry,

That was a scammer impersonating a PCH employee! PCH never sends text messages. Do not give scammers any of your personal information or money! Please report this scammer to abuse@pch.com and check out these helpful tips: http://bit.ly/_FraudProtection_