Greetings, fans and friends,
Our PCH Community has a lot to smile about! After all, WE are full of smiles because we have the opportunity to share our PCH stories with you and tell you about all the great things going on here. And YOU have a big reason to smile – because on February 27th our third $5,000 a week “Forever” Prize is guaranteed to be awarded! Remember, if you win that would mean $5,000 a week for your life, plus after that, $5,000 a week for the life of someone you choose!
So, while you get into practice for displaying those pearly whites, grinning from ear to ear, and of course, jumping for joy and screaming out loud, here are a few fun facts about smiles.
Why Smiling Is Good for You
- Smiling is contagious: According to scientists, neurons in the brain have a synchronizing feature that works with the people you smile at. If they smile, you smile … and if you smile, they smile!
- Smiling is the best medicine: When you smile really big it boosts your immune system by decreasing the body chemical cortisol.
- Smiling is our first facial expression: No one can resist a smiling baby! Did you know that babies start smiling in the womb?
- Forcing yourself to smile when you’re sad will actually elevate your mood: You know the song, “Smile, though your heart is aching”? It’s true! Thanks to endorphins (those feel-good chemicals in your body), smiling actually makes you feel better!
- Smiling makes you look prettier: Studies have shown that 70% of people find smiling faces to be better looking than those wearing makeup. So, don’t powder your chin … put on a grin!
- Smiling can reduce blood pressure: Not only will those endorphins elevate your mood, but they will also lower your blood pressure – so essentially, smiles can be healthy!
- Smiling can be a form of exercise: It takes 26 muscles to smile – it’s like a workout for your face!
- Employers tend to promote people who smile more often: Smiling shows your boss that you are engaged and easy to work with. (And there are a lot of smiling faces here at PCH!)
- There are 19 different types of smiles: Scientists have determined that there are 19 different types of smiles, ranging from overjoyed to polite. But who’s counting … we like ALL of them!
- It’s easier to smile than frown: While it takes more muscles to smile than to frown, it’s easier to smile since we’ve worked out those muscles more.
- We can detect smiles from far away: Humans can detect smiles from more than 300 feet away. This developed out of a need to distinguish friend from foe.
- Smiling is a universal sign for happiness: While it can be tough to distinguish a genuine smile from a phony one, all people – and even some animals – recognize a smile and what it means.
So, will you be ready to smile on February 27th if you’re our lucky $5,000 a week “Forever” Prize winner? Of course, you will! You’ll be smiling all the way to the bank!
Smiling back at you,
P.S. PCH Prize Patrol Elite member Danielle Lam always has a smile on her face! (I know this for a fact, I see her all the time around PCH Headquarters!) Smile along with her … comment below!